Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thursday, March 10, 2011 - Be The Message




    In the long running "I Love Lucy" show the the "Vita-meata-vega-min" episode shows off Lucille Ball's comedic genius and talent at its best. Lucy looks beautiful, has learned her lines thoroughly and arrives on time to practice with the director for the "live" commercial to come later. However, each run-through leaves her more drunk than the last from imbibing the alcoholic beverage disguised as a vitamin supplement. The results are disastrous for the "Vita-meata-vega-min" campaign but hilarious for viewers. Lucy's behavior reveals what's really in the bottle.
     My behavior should reveal what's really in the Bible - God's Message, Love Letter, His Promises, His Word. I should be "filled with the Spirit" after imbibing consistently on the truth I find there (Eph. 5:18).
Because His Word assures me:
    *my future is secure I can live without worry today;
    *when I'm in the Lord's will, He holds my hand, clears my path and keeps me from falling; 
"If the LORD delights in a man's way, He makes his steps firm; 
though he stumble, he will not fall for the LORD upholds him with His Hand." 
Psalm 37:23-24
    *His Word is flawless, I can hide in it and live by it knowing He will protect me;
"As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the LORD is flawless.
He is a shield for all who take refuge in Him."  
Psalm 18:30
    *He loves me, I can love others without inhibition;
    *we each have spiritual gifts, I can use mine with abandon to glorify God and encourage other believers;
    *I've been forgiven, I can relax in and relish His acceptance and grace;
    *He sent Jesus to die for the world, I can witness, testify and even preach the Message in spite of criticism and condemnation. 
"Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; 
correct, rebuke and encourage -- with great patience and careful instruction." 
2 Timothy 4:2
    *the Truth has set me free, I can live the abundant life in His freedom, even if people think I'm drunk, a fanatic, a singing nun, a freak of nature, a puritan or one of those family-value right-wing evangelical Christians. 

"These men are not drunk, as you suppose. . . 
No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:
'In the last days, God says, 
I will pour out my Spirit on all people. 
Your sons and daughters will prophesy, 
your young men will see visions, 
your old men will dream dreams. 
Even on my servants, both men and women, 
I will pour out my Spirit in those days, 
and they will prophesy.'" 
Acts 2:15-18
     Lucy represented the product honestly but by accident. I want to be intentionally filled by the Holy Spirit and the Power of God's Word so I can honestly represent the God in Whom I've put my faith.      
Come, Holy Spirit, and fill us as You did the disciples in the upper room who stayed and prayed for ten days. May we be drunk on Your Love and Grace. Close our eyes to the wet blankets and the nay-sayers. Open our spirits fully to Your direct line into our hearts and minds. May we be Your Message to others today. Let it be obvious to anyone who spends time with us that we've been drinking from Your loving Word again. 
In the Name of Jesus, the Word of God and the message of salvation! 
Inspired by My Utmost for His Highest, Jesus Calling and the comedic genius of Lucille Ball
Video clip provided by youtube.com

No comments:

Post a Comment