Saturday, March 19, 2011

Saturday, March 19, 2011 - (Happy Birthday Tom!) - Joan of Arc

Jeanne d'Arc
     I swore off Facebook games and quizzes when I realized they're designed by people like me and what do I know?  Today, however, my friend Kathy Wood posted her results from a quiz called "Which woman in history are you?" and, as they say, enquiring minds want to know. Actually, I knew before I took the quiz who I would be because I instinctively knew who I WANTED to be. Also, those quizzes seem to base final results on one or two simplistic questions instead of on any deep analysis of the answers. 
     Sure enough, and probably because I feel more connected to France than Egypt (question #6), I'm Joan of Arc, child warrior of France who fulfilled a prophecy as the maid who would deliver France from England's grip. Joan received her mission directly from God, the angels, and the saints. She was condemned by the enemy to be burned at the stake as a witch because she made them look ridiculous and weak. Joan of Arc fascinates me because she accomplished all God called her to do as a teenager acting aggressively in a man's world. She knew what was right and wrong in an era of superstition and ignorance. She followed her call, fulfilled her mission, and died a martyr, but even Joan of Arc failed at one point. When imprisoned by the English, her torturers wanted her to denounce her call. They chained her to a bed, starved her, and threatened her with death by burning until she recanted. Then, so they had an excuse to burn her (the plan all along) they threatened her with repeated rape until she resumed her male clothing so they could say she had relapsed to her old ways. Then they burned her at the stake. She was 19 and they broke her body and will in prison but her last words as she died were "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus."
     Would I want to live Joan of Arc's life? No! Would I love to have her legacy and character? Yes! A woman once told a famous pianist she would give anything to play as he did. He responded by saying, "That's what I did. I gave up everything else to become a concert pianist. Six to eight hours of practice a day leaves little time for much else." We say we want the glory, the soaring, the mountain-tops, even as we side-step the next self-sacrificial step to get there. God doesn't promise us success in our lifetime, but He does promise freedom and power to live a day-to-day life of faith. He asks us to walk where He's already led us: living as forgiven and freed people; 
"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 
because through Christ Jesus 
the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death." 
Romans 8:1-2


honoring Him with our bodies; 
"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, 
who is in you, whom you have received from God? 
You are not your own; you were bought at a price. 
Therefore honor God with your body."
1 Corinthians 6:19-20
and, taking the next step He reveals, especially when we don't know where we're going.
"By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going." 
Hebrews 11:8
Holy Spirit, speak from deeply within us. May Your Voice override every other influence and fear. Convict us of areas we need to sacrifice to honor You. Thank You, Lord, for convicting us without crushing us with words of shame (Sarah Young). Your goal is to use us for Your glory, make us pliable and willing in Your Hands. Help us put You first and to be courageous when the time comes to stand against the enemy. We're tied to You in every way. Lead us to live in faith today as mature followers who've given up all rights to our lives and to the luxury of a life free from suffering.
In the Name of Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspired by Jesus Calling, My Utmost for His Highest and the life of Jeanne d'Arc
picture from facebook.com

1 comment:

  1. Not sure I want to be anyone else but me. I'm kind of a sad specimen, but I figure He has a plan and I need to stick around to see what it is!

    ReplyDelete