Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 - Surf's Up

Yesterday I wrote about riding the waves of trials on the surfboard of faith. Today I can't find my surfboard, I have a surfing lesson and the wall of a wave before me. This is awkward.
    Is it beached, washed up and battered by the unexpected crash of a wave bigger than it looked? Have I made it the trophy of one big ride long ago but laid it aside to build sand castles? Maybe I'm deceiving myself by keeping the water within view and enough sand between my toes to make people think I've got  faith while never accepting any new or real challenge.

Or, maybe I threw my faith away from me in anger or pride or both. Maybe my last ride was a failure so instead of getting back on the horse, I refuse to be humiliated again. From the point I felt overwhelmed I decided to  handle things myself and exchange faith for control, joy for security, and trust in God for the pride of muddling through on my own.


Finally, my faith may have never touched the waters of real adversity.  I've simulated surfing rough waters and I know the lingo, the symbols and the safety tips. I've talked with and listened to surfing experts, but when it comes down to getting on that thing and paddling out to meet trouble, I'm scared out of my wits my beautiful surfboard will splinter under the pressure so I keep it polished and new looking but unscarred by use, effort or pain.
     The "big one" is swelling and God is calling "Surf's Up." I can go out with the only One willing to see me through or stay on the shore building what will fall. If I choose to paddle out, I've got to unpack everything but my faith in God's ability. Any of the following baggage ruins the streamline effect of faith in God and throws me off balance when attached to my surfboard. 
*pretense
     *sin
          *my right to myself
               *possessions
                    *affections and preferences  
"Look to the LORD and His strength, seek His face always." 1 Chronicles 16:11

"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Matthew 6:33

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." Galatians 2:20

Abba, I need You. It's hard to stand on a mustard seed when faced with a threatening wall of circumstances. You are the reigning King and nothing is impossible for You. Help me take the first step in trusting You by seeking Your Face, Your kingdom ways, and Your Righteousness.  Lord, strengthen me to relinquish everything I try to take along with faith when You and I have work to do. Help me open my hands to be crucified with You - to let all MY will die and Yours live. May I trust You enough to paddle out when You say "Surf's Up."
In the Name of Jesus Who Walked on Water and calmed the storm; Who forgives the pride we allow to beach us and Who lifts us in Love out of the angry waves!
Inspired by My Utmost for His Highest and Jesus Calling
photos from photobucket.com

1 comment: