Tuesday, March 1, 2011

March 1, 2011 - Hurt Feelings

     None of us enjoys hurt feelings, but how we respond to the one who hurts our feelings depends on our personalities. Some people get angry and either retaliate outwardly or shut down to the offender. A few of us cry and blame themselves. Healthy people analyze the hurtful remark or action to find any truth in it, adjust where adjustment is called for, address the offender's lack of tact, if necessary, and leave the incident in the past. But, some people never forget and never forgive the person who hurt his or her feelings. 
    Jesus hurt Peter's feelings by asking His disciple the same simple question three times.
 "The third time He said to him, 'Simon son of John, do you love Me?' 
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, 'Do you love Me??' 
He said, 'Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.' 
Jesus said, 'Feed My sheep.'" 
John 21:17
Peter felt what we feel when we've wronged someone:, "How many times do I have to say 'I'm sorry' or 'I love you' before it's ok again?"  For Peter, it was three times with actions to back up the words. Jesus kept asking Peter "Do you love Me?" until He received a heartfelt answer, even if the heart's feelings were hurt. Jesus doesn't accept automatic answers that lead nowhere.
     Once Peter's relationship with the Lord was restored, he crossed a line and Jesus hurt his feelings again with a "none of your business" response.
"Jesus answered, 'If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?
You must follow Me.'" 
John 21:22
One of the most common causes for hurt feelings is unfairness. Peter's human tendency to make sure all was fair, double checked Jesus' methods and plans instead of carrying out his own work and ministry. Hurt feelings caused the prodigal son's older brother to be bitter and question the Father's methods. A sense of unfairness led field workers who had worked all day to resent the Master for paying late comers the same amount (. Hurt feelings led Martha to question why everyone took advantage of her hardworking nature and ended with Jesus hurting her feelings by taking Mary's side. 
     When Jesus hurts our feelings, it's usually because we've stopped feeding His sheep to examine or criticize what He's doing through and for others. With Jesus, the truth may hurt our feelings at times but the gain is worth the pain. 
"Do you love Me?"
Lord Jesus, hurt my feelings if You have to today to get me where I need to be. I don't want to be someone whose words are meaningless because my actions don't back them. Show me the path You have for me and help me walk it loving You with all my heart, mind, soul and strength so I'm just too pleasantly tired to compare my path to the paths You've laid out for my brothers and sisters in Christ.
In the Name of Jesus, the Truth Who hurt feelings to save and sanctify souls because it really isn't about us
Inspired by Jesus Calling and My Utmost for His Highest
photo from photobucket.com

No comments:

Post a Comment