Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sunday, March 6, 2011 - Oh, For The Bounce Of Tigger!

   Nick represents those of us whose energy level rises and falls in direct relation to the entertainment value of the task at hand. It's become a joke between my son and me that at the mention of work - collecting and taking out the garbage, cleaning his room or his bathroom, or working in the yard - the boy visibly fades into a slump-like posture on my shoulder with one great groan. Every ache, growing pain, and bruise from the last week emerges as a potential excuse to bow out of a chore. On the other hand, the prospect of inviting a friend over, going bowling or relaxing at home brings out the bounce of Tigger on a five-hour energy drink.
     God's children respond much the same way to His different callings. Duty brings out the dead weight of unenthusiastic, groaning believers while a new program, trip, or fellowship ignites our positive energy and puts a bounce in our step. Paul was able to say what few believers can: he devoted one hundred percent of his physical strength, mental attitude and spiritual effort to fulfill Jesus' call no matter the circumstance. 
     Which of the following circumstances bring out the groan in your devotion? 
"Rather, as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way:
     in great endurance; in troubles, hardships and distresses; 
     in beatings, imprisonments and riots; 
     in hard work, sleepless nights and hunger; 
     in purity, understanding, patience and kindness; 
     in the Holy Spirit and in sincere love; 
     in truthful speech and in the power of God; 
     with weapons of righteousness in the right hand and in the left; 
     through glory and dishonor, bad report and good report; 
     genuine, yet regarded as impostors; 
     known, yet regarded as unknown; 
     dying, and yet we live on; 
     beaten, and yet not killed; 
     sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; 
     poor, yet making many rich; 
     having nothing, and yet possessing everything."  
          2 Corinthians 6:4-10
I'm afraid Paul had me at "endurance, in troubles, hardships and distresses." Just reading those words deflates my energy level and determination, much less the thought of waking in a world where I might have to face the rest of the tribulations Paul experienced. What's the difference between Paul's devotion to God and mine?  He let go of every previous personal goal to follow Jesus while I hold on to my personal favorites of comfort, security and balance. He learned to draw from the Holy Spirit to fill him with joy and strength while I've yet to learn how to draw on God when I'm drained by the simplest ministry. Paul praised the Lord in prison while I'm still striving to call on, trust and dwell in the Lord in my comfortably safe life.

"Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture." 
Psalm 37:3 
Lord, I need constant assistance to live a commendable life as Paul did. I need You, Jesus, interceding and interrupting my petty thoughts throughout the day. Only You can open my spirit to receive Your Grace and Power to take the next step when the next step requires exactly what thrills me least. Free my lead feet from their constant restlessness to step in new territory instead of remaining faithful in the path You've placed me. In the Name of Jesus Who saves completely and intercedes for us in our helplessness and humanity.
"Therefore He is able to save completely those who come to God through Him, 
because He always lives to intercede for them." 
Hebrews 7:25

Inspired by Jesus Calling and My Utmost for His Highest


1 comment:

  1. I'm LOVING reading this blog! Got you bookmarked on all my computers....home/office/laptop. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete