Friday, March 25, 2011

Friday, March 25, 2011 - Vital Connections

     When Tom's parents came to visit for a week, I was nervous about how to entertain them and make their long trip worthwhile. I prepared a few ideas, made a meal plan, cleaned house, bought groceries, and prepared the guest room. As we sat around the table at dinner the first night, I brought up possible plans for their week in Benton. Dad said, "We don't have to do anything, we just came to be with you." He reminded me of Tom before we married when he said, "The thing I look forward to most is being in the same room together even if we're not doing the same thing." One sign of a healthy relationship or fellowship is the contentment and comfort we find in simply being together without having to be constantly entertained or talking.
     Our Bridegroom, Jesus, longs to enjoy this comfortable relationship with us. He asked us to abide in Him: 
  “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in Me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from Me you can do nothing." If you do not remain in Me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in Me and My words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to My Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be My disciples." John 15:1:5-8
"Sometimes there is nothing to obey, the only thing to do is to maintain a vital connection with Jesus Christ, to see that nothing interferes with that. . .
 Christian work may be a  means of evading the soul's concentration on Jesus Christ. Instead of being friends of the Bridegroom, we may become amateur providences, and may work against Him whilst we use His weapons."  (Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest)
In Jesus' day, weddings weren't performed by the clock, nor were they centered on the bride. The bridegroom could arrive at any moment to take his bride away and the suspense was intense at the bride's house. She, her parents, and their guests had to stay vigilant and ready. Impatience or a grouchy bride could have made waiting long and painful. The bride's family could easily have ended up irritable or caught napping instead of looking for the bridegroom to arrive. 
"The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom's voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete. He must become greater; I must become less." John 3:29-30
Like John the Baptist, we're also friends of the Bridegroom who wait and watch in anticipation and then respond with joy when He appears. 
"And do not grumble, as some of them did -- and were killed by the destroying angel." 1 Corinthians 10:10
    We like to know the plan and then act on it but sometimes the Bridegroom says, "Abide in Me. Wait and watch for how I'm working. Don't rush Me and don't complain about how long I'm taking to work. Don't step in and try to explain My "delay" or try to help Me accomplish My work more quickly. Abide in Me. Let Me be in control and relax. Be grateful I'm working and enjoy the relationships and provisions I've given you. Abide in Me - I Am Your Vital Connection to Peace and Contentment." 
"Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our 'God is a consuming fire.'" Hebrews 12:28-29
Inspired by My Utmost for His Highest and Jesus Calling
photo from photobucket.com

1 comment:

  1. I love this. We often want to be "doing" and "going" when all He asks of us is to "Be still and know that I am God." "Abide in Me." "Wait upon the Lord." "Come unto Me and I will give thee rest."

    Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete