Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sunday, March 13, 2011 - Doubling, Dividing and Overcoming

     When Tom's grandfather, the Reverend Thomas Dill Lide, stood before us at the marriage altar, he spoke the following blessing over us:
As husband and wife, may you double each other's joys and divide each other's burdens.
Our marriage proves the truth of this blessing daily. When Tom hurts, I hurt. Unfortunately, I find it difficult to follow the biblical instruction to simply "weep with those who weep" since I'd rather turn vigilante and exact vengeance on the low-life who hurt my sweet husband. (No, I don't have a problem with spontaneous combustion. Why do you ask?) When I succeed or "find joy" in what God calls me to do, Tom genuinely celebrates with and for me. My joy guarantees a smile on his face. I love that about him.
Nick and Julie Akin, a model couple at doubling joys and dividing burdens.
     Our Bridegroom, Jesus, stands in us to face all the trouble, grief and fear this world can devise to ruin a perfectly good day. I can't be with Tom nor he with me when every daily trouble begins to brew, but Jesus can and is. Tom and I call each other after circumstances change when we can only review what happened and help each other regroup and recover. Jesus calls us to call on Him as circumstances unfold so He can pour out peace and encourage our hearts even while circumstances or people hammer away at them. 
     Jesus guarantees He's already overcome this troublesome world and promises we'll live united with Him in a world eternally free from circumstances that double our trouble and divide our joy. 
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." 
John 16:33


"Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy." John 16:22


"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16


Dearly Beloved Bridegroom, wake us up to Your Presence in us to guide us through every circumstance imaginable. Keep us alert to Your constant Love and to the fact that You've already proved to be not only our Knight in Shining Armor but our King in Shining Victory. May we be reasons You rejoice because we trust in Your Power and Presence.
In the Name of Jesus, our Beloved Bridegroom!


Inspired by Jesus Calling and My Utmost for His Highest
photos from the Noland Family Photo album


http://www.matthewhenry.org/resources-for-public-prayer/prayer/wedding-prayer/

No comments:

Post a Comment