Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - Gotta Sing!

My parents, Bob and Elaine Trimble, at their 50th Anniversary Sock Hop Celebration.
     Each year it's music to my ears when my parents call and sing "Happy Birthday" into my voice mail or answering machine. It's the sweetest sound in spite of Daddy saying that as a youth, some insensitive music director asked him to find another way to serve God than in choir. Mom says she can't sing but some of my best memories include her singing "I see the moon and the moon sees me" at night or "I was glad when they said unto me, 'Let us go Into the house of the Lord" on Sunday rides to church. She has a sweet singing voice in spite of what she says and the fact that the two of them overcome their musical insecurities to sing "Happy Birthday" into my voicemail or answering machine just for me has been a true gift that sounds like reassuring love. However, the song always ends with a laugh, an apology and a reminder to delete the message. 
     As a parent, my children have filled me with joy that could only be expressed in singing or laughing. Each one delights me with their humor, loving spirits, sensitivity, funny quirks, fierce loyalty, and spiritual maturing. It's humbling to think God feels the same way about us.
"The LORD your God is with you, He is mighty to save. 
He will take great delight in you, 
He will quiet you with His love, 
He will rejoice over you with singing." 
Zephaniah 3:17

“Because He delights in me, He saved me” (Ps. 18:19). 
As only Max Lucado can say it:


"And you thought he saved you because of your decency.  You thought he saved you because of your good works or good attitude or good looks.  Sorry.  If that were the case, your salvation would be lost when your voice went south or your works got weak.  There are many reasons God saves you: to bring glory to himself, to appease his justice, to demonstrate his sovereignty.  But one of the sweetest reasons God saved you is because he is fond of you.  He likes having you around.  He thinks you are the best thing to come down the pike in quite awhile. 
“As a man rejoices over his new wife, so your God will rejoice over you.” 
Isaiah 62:5 
If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it.  If he had a wallet, your photo would be in it.  He sends you flowers every spring and a sunrise every morning.  Whenever you want to talk, he’ll listen.  He can live anywhere in the universe, and he chose your heart.  And the Christmas gift he sent you in Bethlehem?  Face it, friend.  He’s crazy about you. The last thing you should worry about is being a nuisance to God." 


"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; 
knock and the door will be opened to you." 
Matthew 7:7
Thank You Father for the love songs You sing to reassure us of Your constant Love. Thank You for counting us as blessings, for loving us thoroughly, for listening to us attentively, and for answering us from Your wisdom. May we burst out into song because of the joy You pour into our lives with Your Love.
In the Name of Jesus Who Loves us - just loves and loves us

Inspired by Jesus Calling, UpWords Ministries (Max Lucado), and parents who love me
photo from the family photo album, Mom and Dad's 50th anniversary 50's Sock Hop

No comments:

Post a Comment