Friday, March 4, 2011

Friday, March 4 ( Happy Birthday, Mama!) - Powerful Packaging

    While walking on the beach one evening we met a man who had retired from working with one of the major breakfast cereal packaging companies. After the usual small talk, Tom asked him to settle the question about generic brands of cereal: Are they the same as name brand cereals? He answered in a matter-of-fact voice, "Yes, we simply changed the boxes or bags that received the cereal." I heard him with my own ears yet sometimes I'd rather pay the difference to have my old friends and logos on the boxes: a rooster on my flakes, a toucan on my fruity tasting circlets, and those three cute elves stirring up my rice flavored air puffs. The man testified to the truth but my heart didn't buy into it. I guess I'm shallow and I like pretty packaging.
     As a believer, Christ fills my generic package with His Truth, with His Living Water, with His Bread of Life and I distribute Him to others from my own personality, through my own gifts. I'm afraid, though, we more often package our own inferior product then attach Christ's label on with a "Please bless this" before we distribute.We pack in "goodness" instead of God's righteousness, our projects instead of God's plan, and our ideas instead of God's vision. We try to sell them on our version, our style, our watered-down truth, our logo, our denomination, our personality instead of the Truth because it's what we know and it's more comforting.
"It is easier to serve God without a vision, easier to work for God without a call, because then you are not bothered by what God requires; common sense is your guide, veneered over with Christian sentiment." (Chambers)    
Dear Father, You're Who we want to carry within us, Who we want to distribute. Help me consider my life as nothing compared to fulfilling Your commission and Your plans for my life. Help us let You fill us with  Your Spirit and allow You to use the packaging You've given us to do it. Guide us to love Truth more than trends or tradition, Christ more than comfort, our Savior more than sentiment, and Life more than brand loyalty. 
In the Name of Jesus, the Truth
"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me,
if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me --
the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace."
Acts 20:24
Inspired by My Utmost for His Highest
photo from photobucket.com

No comments:

Post a Comment