Friday, March 18, 2011

Friday, March 18, 2011 - Whacking Down The Worry Webs

"Will you walk into my parlor?" 
said the spider to the fly;
"'Tis the prettiest little parlor that you ever did spy.
The way into my parlor is up a winding stair,
And I have many curious things to show when you are there."
"Oh no, no!" said the little fly,
"to ask me is in vain; 
For who goes up  your winding stair
can never come down again."
   - Mary Howitt

     Satan's waggling his long spidery finger to lure me into well-laid worry webs he's constructed just for me. Plans for spring break changed last night as a trip was postponed for an unspecified future date due to health issues my dad faces. Tom's dad faces eye surgery and his mom is already legally blind. Our house in Daphne hasn't sold yet so we'll be camped out on Dave Ramsey's Baby Step #2 indefinitely. April 15 needs no further explanation. Our almost 22-year old daughter will experience her first delivery in the next sevenish weeks and, oh the stories people like to tell when your baby girl's expecting her first! I don't know exactly when to show up to help. Uncertain change is in the air no matter which air I inhale. 
     A parlor once represented a place for short visits and webs look flimsy, as if we could stay a little while then leave. But Satan, like the spider, plays for keeps. He's forcefully hospitable and before we know it, his worry parlor becomes our permanent residence. 
    Today I choose to be a smart fly and just say "no." I choose to demolish Satan's dark parlor as I turn to God and take a deep breath of His Holy Spirit. 

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, 
for tomorrow will worry about itself. 
Each day has enough trouble of its own." 
Matthew 6:34
Today I choose to trust God with "all of the above." 
"O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts!" 
Psalm 84:12
I choose to reverence God by sticking to His promises instead of Satan's web. Worry will not contaminate my spirit, weigh down my mind or wear out my body.
"Since we have these promises, dear friends, 



let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, 
perfecting holiness out of reverence for God." 
2 Corinthians 7:1  
Today I choose to whack down some webs with gratitude.

     Reigning King, thank You for the heads up about worry. Thank You for blessing us when we trust You and for constructing a place in heaven where Satan has no parlor or webs. Thank Your for Fridays and that Nick's over his stomach flu. Thank You for time to discover nearby bike trails and enjoy the spring weather. Thank You for Tom and his loving spirit in all kinds of situations.
     Thank You for our parents and for modern medicine and well-educated doctors. Thank You that when the time comes You'll get us where we most need to be. 
     Thank You for Addy, as she makes her appearance in the next sevenish weeks. Thank You that I'll get to kiss those sweet cheeks and feel how she fits into her grandmother's arms and heart. Thank You that Julie and I will take another step closer in experience. Thank You for Addy's wonderful daddy. 
     Thank You for cell phones and cyberspace. Thank You for the wisdom of age and the innocence of babies. Thank You for public libraries and spring flowers. Thank You for laughter, one of Your best defenses against worry. Thank You, God for every simple blessing and help us enjoy what You've given us today, for today. Thank You for indescribable peace for an indefinable future. 
In the Name of Jesus Who commanded us not to worry - Praise God!


Inspired by Jesus Calling, My Utmost for His Highest and spiders everywhere
graphic from photobucket.com



     


















1 comment:

  1. Whew, girl! This is a GOOD one! Why are we so good at worrying? The older I get, the better I get at it. Which makes no sense. Cause the older I get, the more evidence I have that He's taking care of me and mine. I know He shakes His head at me....

    Oh, the joy ahead of you when that baby arrives! Don't listen to stories. Go to Julie as soon as she needs you and for as long as she needs you. Nobody else's business...

    Hope you are able to see my comments. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to read your blog each morning. I encourage you to continue. No worries!

    ReplyDelete