Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - Music in My Chicken Wings

"Let us come before Him with thanksgiving
and extol Him with music and song."
Psalm 95:2 

Nick posted this photo on Facebook to explain why he chose the saxophone over all the other instruments in the band: "It looks like a chicken wing. I like chicken." It's true. He loves chicken.
     When Julie was seven or eight, a little girl who spent the night with her told her, "Y'all sure sing a lot." I never thought about it before but music does crop up in one form or another throughout almost every day at the Noland house. I mean, it's pretty bad when a chicken wing reminds us of a musical instrument, don't you think? We used to say Julie lived her life to Disney background music and now Nick provides a stream of rhythmic and joyful noises to entertain us. When the kids were little and fearful at night time, we sang praise songs and hymns to them and taught them to sing themselves to sleep. In the mornings, Tom's vocal warm-ups are magnificent and, since everything reminds me of a song, I tend to burst into one-liners in the middle of normal conversation - all during the day - in public or privately. I know no shame. 
   Julie, knowing no other way to live, married into an entire family of musicians, "The Akins." Nick A. and Julie's wedding and reception filled the air with worship, romance and fun.  As wedding favors, they gave CDs they made of the worship song they sang in their wedding and three love songs Nick A. wrote for Julie. 
We have traditional family CDs for summer ("Walking on Sunshine") and Christmas (Carpenters, all the way). We watch concert DVDs when we get together. We go Christmas caroling. For my birthday one year, Tom made a CD of my favorite Latin dance music and for Christmas he gave me a CD of "Lady in Red" attached to a gorgeous red dress. This year for Christmas we made a memory at the Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert. We can't help it; music is rooted deeply into our personalities. The good news is we like or at least appreciate all music genres so we're never bored. I praise God for music to express exponentially our feelings ("Shout to the Lord!"  "Holy, Holy, Holy!" "I Love You Lord") with melody, harmony, voices, instruments  - or a cappella - alone or with one or two others, in a choir or congregation. Playing or singing upbeat praise music broadens my focus from the end of the sunbeam where I live to the Son, the Light, the bigger picture ("Take the shackles off my feet so I can praise You! I want to praise You! I want to praise You!"  "Who Am I?"). 
Father, thank You for using music to soothe and to energize, to comfort and convict. Help us give this gift back to You in adoration of Your Holiness but also in the joy of Your salvation. May we let You play the background music for our lives and provide the beat by which You want us to march. May we use the incredible tool of music to minister to Your heart with a show of our harmony and unity as Your family.
In the Name of Jesus Who kicked off His time of ministry by dancing at a wedding but also sang a hymn with His disciples at the conclusion of the Last Supper.     


"Those who know Your Name will trust in You, 
for You, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek You." 
Psalm 9:10
Inspired by Jesus Calling, Music of all kinds, and chicken wings
photos from the family album

No comments:

Post a Comment