Monday, March 21, 2011

Monday, March 21, 2011 - Surely Not Surly

     Since I usually write these blogs before morning light, I reread and proof them several times throughout the day to correct the pre-coffee mistakes I make. Inspiration certainly doesn't guarantee perfection. Spell check doesn't catch typos like "untie" when I meant "unite," or "surly" when the verse says "surely," but the meaning changes drastically. I caught where I had typed "surly" instead of "surely" in the first verse today and praised God that we can surely count on Him not to be a surly ("sullen, irritable, inclined to anger or bad feelings") God. 
"Surely You have granted him eternal blessings 
and made him glad with the joy of Your presence." 
Psalm 21:6
     The two verses from Psalms sing in harmony of the security, joy, and salvation we enjoy in God's anything-but-surly Presence. 
"Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. 
The LORD, the LORD, is my strength and my song; He has become my salvation. 
With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation."
Isaiah 12:2-3
    Surely God, Our Salvation, our Strength, our Song doesn't deserve surly children - even on a Monday, but it's especially on Mondays we find it difficult to make the sacrifices Jesus calls for and keep a bounce in our step. Galatians 2:20 leaves us no excuse for bad attitudes or irritability when we're serving God or working to get along with our brothers and sisters in Christ.   
"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. 
The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, 
Who loved me and gave Himself for me."
 Galatians 2:20 
     Because Christ lives in me and I'm dead to self, I can't be surly and still say I'm living by faith in Him. I died to all the law demands, praise God,  but I tend to forget I'm also dead to the things that stir up irritability and anger - even on a Monday. 
     Lord, Your blessing bottle keeps pouring out strength, music, joy and assurance into our undeserving lives. I trust You because You've never let me down. I'm not afraid because You're always with me. The future holds nothing You can't see us through victoriously. Satan loves to practice the wrong kind of resurrection by talking us into being oversensitive to the wrong stimuli. Deaden us to what's not important to You and awaken our souls to breathe in Your Holy Spirit as we live our new lives in You, by the faith You've given us.
In the Name of Jesus Who lives in us and expresses His faith through us
Inspired by Jesus Calling, My Utmost for His Highest and typos
icon from photobucket.com

No comments:

Post a Comment