Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - Undercurrents

My favorite part of a day at the beach is wading into waist-deep water to propel myself up and over the waves. The bigger the wave the better I like it. The kids and I would watch for the "big ones," hold hands, and laugh our heads off getting over them or through them. When a particularly tricky wave hit hard, I would feel a smaller hand slip out of mine and I became super mom, grabbing after and swooping up whoever had fallen. Once or twice a really big one would knock us all down and break our human chain, but only momentarily. We were not to be beaten down by a mere wave.
     While we looked for the waves, anticipated their arrival, braced ourselves, stood together through them, and regrouped for the next one, fighting an unseen undercurrent was a different story. Silent and sinister, an undercurrent grips and pulls down, like a crocodile pulling its prey underwater where he has all the advantages.        
     "You have remained true to God under great and intense trials, now beware of the undercurrent." (Oswald Chambers) I'm feeling revived and encouraged to have weathered a "big one" recently, so now it's time to watch my step. My normal pattern is to hold up through the big crises everyone knows about and prays me through, but to fall apart when the worst  has passed. Worn out from fighting the onslaught, I'm more easily knocked off balance by unexpected attacks of unnecessary criticism, unresolved tension, unhealed wounds, unrecognized sins, unconfessed sins, untamed tongues, unforgiving spirits, or undervalued relationships. I try to swim alone in my personal crises, yet that's when I'm most vulnerable to the less obvious but more destructive temptation to let my faith slip or fade. 
Lord, save me from my blind spots and weaknesses! Your Word promises time and again that You will strengthen me to stand up under any temptation or crisis that threatens to yank me under and devour me.
"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. 
And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. 
But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out 
so that you can stand up under it." 
1 Corinthians 10:13
"Hear my cry for mercy as I call to You for help, 
as I lift up my hands toward Your Most Holy Place. 
Do not drag me away with the wicked, with those who do evil, 
who speak cordially with their neighbors but harbor malice in their hearts." 
Psalm 28:2-3
Savior, Strength and Shepherd, heal us of the "uns" in our lives and raise us above the "unders" Satan uses against us. Lead us away from every plan to overcome or erode our faith. Keep us grounded in You so we hear Your clear warnings about the enemy's schemes. You are mighty to save. No one compares to You. Your Voice alone scatters the enemy and makes our feet dance on level ground.
In the Name of Jesus Who walked on the water above the undercurrents
"I will exalt You, O LORD, 
for You lifted me out of depths and did not let my enemies gloat over me. 
O LORD my God, I called to You for help and You healed me." 
Psalm 30:1-2
 Inspired by My Utmost for His Highest 
photos from photobucket.com



No comments:

Post a Comment