Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sunday, April 18, 2011 - Floating in a Miracle

"Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that is was Jesus. He called out to them, "Friends, haven't you any fish?"  "No," they answered.
He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some." When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish. Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, 'It is the Lord!' As soon as Simon Peter heard him say, 'It is the Lord,' he wrapped his outer garment around him (for he had taken it off) and jumped into the water." John 21:7


This is my story, this is my song this morning. Tom and I were floating in a miracle and didn't know it until Jesus pointed which way to fish yesterday afternoon. 
     I was finishing up taxes (contrary to popular belief, they're due on the 18th) and had a burning question regarding a supplement on each paystub. This was new to me since we've always made quarterly estimates, so I asked our church administrator, Katherine, to explain.  She tried but this happened in my pre-Dave Ramsey days and in the fog of details surrounding our new move, all I caught was "to help pay Social Security" and "a good idea to save it."  So, from every paycheck I deposited the amount into savings thinking one day we would be called on to write the government a check for the full amount. Yesterday, I thought, "Surely April 18th is the day I'm supposed to send all that money somewhere but, here it is Saturday and I can't call the church to ask. I'd really like to ask Katherine since she's the one who explained it to me earlier but I HATE TO BOTHER HER ON A SATURDAY." That's when the phone rang.
     Jesus inspired Katherine to call our home to ask Tom something about today's service.  Now here's the next part of the miracle: I was nearest Tom's phone and answered it.  Normally, Tom has his phone on him and would've answered her call from the other end of the house and I would've never known she called. It was as if she had read my mind and knew I needed important information only she could give me at that moment. Her answer was our miracle. The designated money we'd saved was our net of fish to pay what we owed for 2010.  We simply had to haul our answer into the checking account: an answer God was working on while we worried, an answer through which He taught us discipline. 
     The disciples labored on the water all night. They were in familiar territory and knew what they were doing, but if they'd caught fish all night, they would've missed the miracle Jesus wanted them to experience, the gift He wanted to give them. There's nothing unusual about saving money in a bank, but Jesus waited to reveal it as a miracle, to put the gift tag on it to answer a need at the exact moment we would most appreciate it. Just when we needed the blessed assurance of His Sovereignty, His Grace, and His Provision He called out to us and pointed the way. Like Peter, I feel like jumping into the water fully dressed and swimming  to Jesus to express my joy. 
Praise God from Whom all blessings flow! You've held us up yet again, Lord. You've poured out grace upon grace. You've strengthened us and filled us. This miracle has been about more than money - it's been a long-term investment in our habits, our personal discipline, and our faith. Thank You, thank You. 
"Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine! Oh what a foretaste of glory divine! Heir of salvation, purchase of God, born of His Spirit, washed in His blood"  and  "lost in His love."  
In the Name of Jesus, our Blessed Assurance!
Inspired by Jesus Calling and My Utmost for His Highest
photo from my Italy album, little boats at the Isle of Capri
"So do not fear for I am with you; 
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
Isaiah 41:10

No comments:

Post a Comment