Thursday, April 14, 2011

Thursday, April 14, 2011 - God's Favorite Child

"Two are better than one, 
because they have a good return for their work" Ecclesiastes 4:9
"Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me." 
Matthew 11:29
     Jesus' yoke brings with it the heaviest burdens and the greatest strength, the most  trying trials yet the most joyful joy. It's a package deal and we can't know one without the other. No struggle, no strength. No pain, no gain, but the truly comforting fact is no discipline, no relationship which means I'm God's favorite child.
"My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, 
and do not lose heart when He rebukes you,
 because the Lord disciplines those He loves,  
and He punishes everyone He accepts as a son. 
Endure hardships as discipline; 
God is treating you as sons."
Hebrews 12:5b-6
   "The fact that the peace and the light and the joy of God are there (in a believer's life) is proof that the burden is there too. The burden God places squeezes the grapes and out comes the wine; most of us see the wine only (in other believers' lives)." (Oswald Chambers)
    So will I complain about heavy or ongoing burdens since they prove God loves me enough to discipline me as His child? Will I whine when He's squeezing the grapes to get the wine from the fruit of His Spirit in my life? Am I going to allow myself to sink into feeling persecuted and alone when Jesus is pulling alongside me and for me? We'll enjoy the sweetest fellowship if I don't ruin it with constant complaints (and don't we all love to work with people who complain constantly?). Taking Jesus' yoke means our communion with Him strengthens and inspires us until we're more focused on the joy of the walk with Him than the burden we're carrying together.  
"We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. 
It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, where Jesus, 
who went before us, has entered on our behalf. 
He has become a high priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek." 
Hebrews 6:19-20
What a joy to be Your child and walk with You daily, Lord. May we be so distracted by Your Presence and Beauty that we could care less about the weight of the load we're pulling. Guide us to desire You more than comfort, relief, or ease. That's a deep request and I'll need Your strength to bear Your answer, but You've promised never to leave me or forsake me. I never have to carry another burden alone. It only feels like I'm alone when I start complaining and forget You and I are yoked together.
In the Name of Jesus, Teacher and Example Who carried the cross without complaint for the joy ahead of Him.
Inspired by My Utmost for His Highest
photo from photobucket.com




No comments:

Post a Comment