Friday, April 1, 2011

Friday, April 1 - (Beware the restless pranksters!) Little Stinkers

     Today will be the first day of my substitute teacher journey that I sub in a fifth grade class. "Firsts" bring a thrill of both anticipation and nervousness. We're alert and our receptors notice everything. First grade, first day of school, first chapter book, first date, first kiss, first drive in a car alone, first interview, first job, first serious relationship, first major purchase, first time to see our new baby - all these experiences remain etched in our hearts because we were alive and alert to what we experienced.  
     Yesterday I subbed for the same grade in the same school but a different class. One of the children who challenged me the day before showed up for a while and my immediate reaction was a sinking feeling as I dreaded a repeat performance, but the Holy Spirit reminded me of the lesson on interceding for others He's teaching me and said, "Cover this child." At the first word of intercession in my heart, the little stinker transformed in my eyes from a problem to an opportunity, from a sore spot to a child with needs. I saw her as if for the first time and she responded likewise.
     What a depressing thought to picture God acting like we do toward sometimes, rolling His eyes and wishing we'd go back to sleep so He didn't have to deal with us today. But, His mercies are new every morning and He views me constantly as if for the first time - with a goal for my transformation, applying His Power to my weaknesses, working to bring His will to life in me. 
"And He who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, 
because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will." 
Romans 8:27
Christ Himself has every right to condemn me as a "stinker" yet He constantly intercedes for me from His powerful position before the Father. 
"Who is he that condemns? 
Christ Jesus, who died -- more than that, who was raised to life -- is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us." 
Romans 8:34
     So, today, when those "stinkers" show up in our lives, for the first or the hundredth or the millionth time, and we're tempted to condemn or ignore them, let's cover them with prayer in our hearts and watch them change as they see us transform toward them. The "stinkers" are God's way of keeping us, like Christ, next to His throne and in constant contact with Him.
    "Today is the first day of the rest of your life"
"Pray continually" 
1 Thessalonians 5:17
"In all your ways acknowledge Him, 
and He will make your paths straight." 
Proverbs 3:6
Father, wonderful Father, thank You for working with us and not ignoring us. Thank You that in the Trinity of Your Existence the Son and the Holy Spirit intercede for us and You, Great God, made a way for us to spend eternity with You. We look forward to today, the first of April, being the first day of the rest of our life of heartfelt, intense, constant intercession for the little stinkers in our lives.
In the Name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit Who don't condemn but Who are constantly working to transform us into mature intercessors in Your image!

Inspired by My Utmost for His Highest and Jesus Calling

1 comment:

  1. That was realized in my life, when I was a day care teacher. There was one especially annoying little boy in my class. I prayed for God to make him good. God changed my attitude toward him, and my changed attitude changed him!

    ReplyDelete