Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 - Happy Birthday, Nick!

     Twelve years ago at this time Tom, Julie and I were getting ready to go to Springhill Hospital for Dr. Ditto to induce labor and deliver Nicholas Robert Noland. All went well until late afternoon when Nick's heart monitor told the nurses our baby boy was in trouble. Dr. Ditto decided an emergency C-section was required. I nodded but inside I panicked. I didn't know anything about C-sections and hadn't prepared for this possibility. Having successfully delivered Julie naturally, I never considered a plan B. As they hurried me to surgery, I prayed as tears sprang to my eyes. What was wrong with Nick? What had happened? Would he survive? Would I be awake for his birth? Would everyone else hold him first? Love on him first? Would he be there to love when I woke up, if they put me to sleep? Fewer moments in my life called my heart to race to my Father's throne with every emotion possible: fear, praise for modern medicine, hope, bewilderment (What had I done wrong? How would Julie handle this?) and yes, a little anger that the plan had changed, taking away every ounce of control I had and darkening our happy day.  
     They strapped me down (crucifixion style, I thought in my dismal mood) and put up a curtain so I couldn't see his birth. We tearfully rejoiced that he arrived healthy but then they poked him at me for about two seconds before whisking him away to the nursery for others to see. I wasn't happy. I wanted to hold him and bond with him but I had to wait an entire hour before they would let me hold him and memorize his face, hands, and the way he felt in my arms. My head understood, but this mother's heart was crushed. 
     Twelve years later, I believe I have the honor and privilege of knowing Nick better than anyone else, having spent more time with him. The irony is that the poor child inherited my natural tendency to not only see the glass as half empty but to cynically wonder about the existence of "the glass." Until he was saved at four and a half years old, Nick carried a cloud of negativity over his head that was often exasperating. On the first day after spring break I woke him saying, "Nick, today's going to be a great day. You get to go to preschool and see your friends and Mrs. Nancy again. AND, you're going to the library and on a picnic!" He started to smile but then stuck out his bottom lip instead and said, "They're just making me have too much fun." 
     Both our children were saved at four years old and both are my living proof of the Holy Spirit's power in a believer's life. God answered Julie's childlike, trusting prayers in miraculous ways and from the day Nick made Jesus the ruler of his life the Holy Spirit began speaking to him. Each time little Nick said something negative, he started correcting himself.  Later, when he complained, he stopped himself. The next stage: he used humor and made fun of himself. Now, when I look at this precious gifted twelve year old God has loaned us, it's hard to remember he was ever negative. He keeps us laughing with his quirky sense of humor. He's wise beyond his years and able to voice Spirit-inspired wisdom. He's thoughtful and talented. He's compassionate and treats everyone the same. He's a prayer warrior. He's his mama's prince, a joy to know and love. 
     While Nick and I still like knowing the plan ahead of time and sticking to it, we've learned to appreciate change. We're learning to see setbacks as opportunities to enjoy life from new perspectives. We've been resistant at times and God has had His Holy hands full between the two of us, but He's given us twelve years of growing and transforming  together that I can only call another amazing example of the grace of God. 


Father, thank You for Nick and how he has become a reason to smile for so many people. Thank You for his quick and keen sense of humor, for his compassion and people skills. Thank You for entrusting him to our family to love and enjoy; for the books we've read, devotions we've discussed, prayers we've prayed, and jokes we've shared. Thank You that he came into the world miraculously whole and healthy. Guard him and bless him. Lead him to know You're with him and using every change in the plan for his good. Show him how You want to use him today and make today one he remembers being filled with love and laughter and the Light of Your Holy Spirit. Thank You for the godly man he's already becoming. 


In the name of Jesus, Your Son, in Whom You are well pleased!


"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful."Colossians 4:2


"But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ." Philippians 3:7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment