Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - Nicknames

     When Nick was three or four he heard us talking about someone with a "nickname" and he did his best to assure us that he was the only one with a Nick name.
     In only a few viewings of the television show "The Office" you quickly learn that for Andy Bernard, nicknaming is part of the male bonding process. He concocts unimaginative nicknames such as "Big Tuna" for  Jim who brought tuna for lunch one day. When Jim is promoted, Andy changes the nickname to "Boss Tuna."
     When I call God "God," "Lord," and "Father" it's because of what He's done in my life. The problem is I don't have enough names for God when I attempt to acclaim and proclaim  all He does in my life but it's a joyful exercise to try. Today He is my Rest -  Rest from Worry, Rest from Darkness, Rest from my own weaknesses and failures, Rest from the Need to Please Others, Rest from guilt, Rest in Grace, and God of the Rest of my life. Oops, was that more than one name?
    Thank You, Father-God, Healer and Rest for being a God we can't give enough names. You never change Who You are but You find an infinite number of ways to express Who You are! Thank You for being bigger than our imaginations and creativity!


In the name of Jesus, God saves, a favorite nickname for God!


"Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim You, who walk in the light of Your presence, O LORD. They rejoice in Your name all day long; they exult in Your righteousness." Psalm 89:15-16


"This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in His presence whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and He knows everything." 1 John 3:19-20


"To Him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy" Jude 24


"In my integrity You uphold me and set me in Your presence forever." Psalm 41:12



No comments:

Post a Comment