Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 Open But Unbroken

    Rumor has it we have some quilting maniacs amongst us in Benton. I'm a little in awe of people who can control a needle without personal injury, much less design such intricate and artistic work. I would love to see their work (obvious hint) because to me a quilt best symbolizes warmth, home, practicality and memories. Memory quilts are a personal favorite since each bit of fabric evokes vivid responses to an experience or era as the mind flips through its Kodak moments and as fingers remember.
     To acquaint myself with our new church family, I'm floating from circle to circle in its unfinished quilt of fellowship. Most recently, I've sung with the Morning Glories and swapped stories with soul-sisters. This Sunday Tom and I look forward to getting to know the Crossover Cafe bunch over a cup of coffee. Each circle of sweet faces we've enjoyed has blessed our faith with testimonies of how God has brought and continues to bring them together for His purpose and glory. 
     The Lord, the Quilter, constantly designs colorful, new, warm and embracing circles among His children. He stitches us together by first infusing us with His perfect blend of colors. He cuts us down to the right size, reminding us that the church isn't a blanket with one pattern but a quilt of many patterns. He draws us together with His tender Voice, grouping and re-grouping us, linking us together to minister to each other as we warmly embrace people who have no circle, no sense of belonging, no sweet fellowship.  
     I'm discovering a million ministries and an endless number of circles I want to stitch myself into because my heart doesn't want to miss a thing or one precious soul. However, my body refuses to be in more than one place at a time, despite my polite requests or when I've tried to defy space and time. So, as I flit from circle to circle I'm listening for God's Voice over my own desire to "do it all." I'm trying to be content as a "simple sheep" (Sarah Young's phrase) who lets Him draw me into the places He wants to use me. Until then, I plan to keep flitting as I enjoy His handiwork in detail.  


Lord, You're a Master Designer with endlessly creative ways to call us together and use us. When we're obedient to Your Voice You use us even when we don't realize You're doing it. When You place us in new circles, each of us brings a unique perspective and together You create a once-in-a-lifetime pattern of experiences and gifts You can use. The fellowship You give us within our comfortable cozy circles provides soul-satisfying rest and nourishment. Use us, Lord, in practical ways to cover those around us in Your Loving care. We're Your Hands and Feet so keep us free and available and keep every circle in Your church open but unbroken: open to new people but unbroken in the fellowship of Your Love. Help us hear Your Voice above all others and, like simple sheep, may we follow You wherever You lead.


In the name of Jesus, Who began stitching the church together with twelve imperfect but colorful pieces of rough and sometimes fishy-smelling fabric!

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death." Romans 8:1-2


"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying 'This is the way; walk in it.'" Isaiah 30:21


"My sheep listen to My Voice; I know them, and they follow Me." John 10:27


"The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake." Psalm 23:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment