Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - Treasure Hunt

    The heavy night rain must be washing fall off the trees to the ground. People who live here say the autumn colors aren't as vivid as in the past but for people like us, accustomed to seeing one or two trees change colors, it's a spectacular season. One of my favorite fall views here in Benton has been a picturesque wooden church set among colorful trees that looks as if it came right off a Thomas Kincaid canvas, especially on two or three foggy mornings we've had since moving here. I wish the little church was on a less busy street so I could take it in at leisure with a cup of coffee. It's an especially comforting sight at night when the lights glow softly and create a homey, intimate  scene. The large cross standing by the red door reminds passers-by Who to thank for opening to us the intimacy and comfort of our Father's Presence and future heavenly home. I anticipate seeing this church with its Christmas wreaths and later framed in the baby green of spring.  
     Our neighbors may have grown accustomed to treasures like this tucked in their community but they're newly dear to me, like the train whistles in the night, the lighted trees downtown, the wooded hills, sloping fields and river bridges. God plants equally important spiritual treasures along our day's path as well, if we take the time to notice them. Today He's already spoken to me through the spoken and written words of several friends. He's loved me through the affection Tom and Nick both showed me before they left to begin their work for the day. He prompted me at the store and waved to me with the trees. I sometimes miss out on these treasures because I'm busy moving on to the next project. Today, I'm looking for the X's on my map that may be in my own kitchen or looking out my window or wrapped in the unlikeliest people or places.  


Father, thank You for the way You make Your Presence known to us in peaceful, pastoral scenes or in the crowds of people we may find ourselves. Thank You for being a God who plans good things for Your children no matter where we find ourselves. Help us notice and appreciate every treasure great and small. Fill us with the Spirit of Thanksgiving for the simplest gifts and show us how to give simply and authentically. Thank You for being the good, great God You are. 


In the name of Jesus, our treasure wrapped in swaddling clothes, burial shroud and the robes of the King of Heaven!

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38-39


"You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grains and new wine abound.  I will lie down and sleep in peace, for You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety." Psalm 4:7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment