Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 Bittersweet Blessings

     As thrilled as we are with our new hometown and new church family I knew the holidays could feel bittersweet because of the distance from both of our families. If I wanted to let this gray foggy morning get me down I could focus on the fact that I won't get to spend time with Mama in the kitchen or enjoy her homemade biscuits with turkey hash or, my personal favorite, tomato gravy. We won't be sending Daddy to Kroger three times a day to get more of what we need. If I wanted to let guilt reign I could focus on the fact that Mom and Dad Noland will eat Thanksgiving dinner in a restaurant this year as all of their kids celebrate with the in-laws or have the same distance challenge we do.
     You see how dismal my spirits could get if I chose to focus on the "bitter" half of bittersweet.  However, I'm going to "take the sting out of adversity" as Sarah Young's "Jesus Calling" entry for today says. I'm going to focus on the the "sweet:" Our four parents are sitting at  tables this year instead of any one of them lying in hospital beds. This is a cause for thanksgiving since we've come close to losing each one of them over the last several years. In light of this fact, I'm thankful to hear their voices on the other end of the telephone this season. We're thankful they have each other and enjoy each other's company. We're grateful they're examples of faithfulness to each other and to God. We praise God they taught us by example to follow Him first and that they support us in what He calls us to do wherever He calls us to be - even when that distance keeps us apart for the holidays.


Thank You, God of good gifts, for blessing us with parents who minister to us and to others. Thank You for the rich Christian heritage they're passing along to us, our children and our future grandchildren. Fill their minds with an unending list of blessings to count on these days of Thanksgiving. Surround them with Your Joy and Peace and thank You for the family traditions they've ingrained deeply in our hearts and on our taste buds! 


In the name of Jesus who brings us all to the same table as brothers and sisters in Christ!




"always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ." Ephesians 5:20


"Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; His love endures forever." Psalm 118:1


"Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim You, who walk in the light of Your presence, O LORD." Psalm 89:15

No comments:

Post a Comment