Friday, November 26, 2010

Friday, November 26, 2010 - This Little Light of Mind

     When our children were little we noticed that "sleep begat sleep," meaning once they slept through the night a few times the habit stuck and they seemed to want more sleep. Good times: Happy babies, rested mama. Sometimes illness or a trip broke the cycle and for a while, waking begat waking, or fear begat fear. This same principle can snowball daily habits into out-of-control lifestyles. The more I eat, the more I want to eat. Messy leads to messier. Procrastinating leads to never getting around to it at all. On the positive side, the more I invest my time and energy into a pet project, the more I have to put into it. The more I write, the more I enjoy writing. The more I seek God, the more I want to know God.
     God's Word commands and encourages us to let the habit of gratitude snowball into a lifestyle of gratitude which is our best defense in the world's avalanche of darkness. God knows one word of thanks ignites our hearts to greater gratitude and a joy that can melt hard feelings and cut down self-pity. Trusting God enough to thank Him even in our dark places defeats negative thinking that keeps us in the dark. Sincerely thanking Him enlightens our hearts to recognize His blessings and to experience His Presence. When we acknowledge Who's with us and that He has ordered the day ahead, we'll more readily "rejoice and be glad in it" knowing one joyful step in His Love lights the way for the next step and for those watching us.   


Lord God of heaven and earth, I don't know how You can rule the universe and care about what's best for me at the same time but You do and I thank You. Thank You for the tailor-made plans You've made for our good. Thank You for showing us how to live above our circumstances. My heart is filled with joy at Your Love and I praise You for time to reflect on Your goodness to us and to those close to us. Guard our hearts and minds from sinking into worldly, worrisome ruts. May we be like the little tree in the gazebo - shining through the night and offering a little warmth for those who notice. May one grateful thought, one praise, lead to another - not just on Thanksgiving but today, Black Friday, and each day forward. 


In the name of Jesus whose love shown from a cross in a midnight sky one Friday to change the world! 




"This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24


"I will sacrifice a thank offering to You and call on the name of the LORD." Psalm 116:17

No comments:

Post a Comment