Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sunday, November 28, 2010 - Rest in Peace, R.J.

     I'm feeling a bit stunned this morning as I received the news that a classmate's memorial service will take place next Saturday. We've had a Facebook prayer chain for R.J. and mutual friends who still live in or near our hometown held fund raisers to allay medical expenses. Just yesterday I looked at pictures of R.J. in his hospital bed, thin and hooked up to every machine imaginable. My heart went out to him and seeing him ebb away from this life led me to pray he would know God's Peace and Presence. Today's "Jesus Calling' refers to resting in the assurance of God's eternal Love. I read it before I saw the announcement about R.J., so my first thought on a cold Sunday was of a long, restful nap between church services. Now I can't help but think of a deeper, unending rest in God's Love  - a Love death can't stop. I hope, now that his battle with disease is finished, R.J.'s resting in the assurance of that Love and Peace.

Father, I praise You for a Love that won't let us go, even when we walk through the valley of the shadow of death. I praise You that death for those who believe is only a door opening to reveal what our hearts have believed and our  minds have hoped. Thank You for the life we have here and help us use it up for You, but I give eternal thanks for the eternal life we'll have with You when we no longer have to fight the battles that knock us down and batter our strength. Reign over us, Mighty God, and lead us to rest when we can and fight what we must in Your strength!


In the name of Jesus, our Victorious King over death


"Cast all your anxiety on Him for He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7


"I pray that out of His glorious riches He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.  And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to rasp how wide and long and high an deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge -- that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." Ephesians 3:16-19


"Let them give thanks to the LORD for His unfailing love and His wonderful deeds for men. Let them sacrifice thank offerings and tell of His works with songs of joy." Psalm 107:21-22

No comments:

Post a Comment