Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - TMI

     When Tom and I first knew God was calling us to relocate from Alabama to Arkansas, we looked for ways to help Nick give Arkansas a chance. We learned during our first trip to "the Natural State" that 14-year-olds can get learner's permits to drive -- on real streets -- to real places. And, to prove that people over a certain age shouldn't have children, we told Nick the news on our return to Alabama. His attitude toward Arkansas changed immediately and drastically. It's funny how the brain-fog cleared the second we saw his over-enthusiastic response to his future. We immediately started back-peddling hard and fast. As the song says, "I can see clearly now the rain is gone." Now we're searching for  exception clauses to this unnatural idea of children behind the wheels of anything other than go-karts. 
     We forgot what we learned in seminary counseling classes: avoid making important decisions when in a state of anger, frustration, discouragement, depression or, in our case, desperation. A life change clouded our judgement and we took a human route to "make it all better" for our child. It's a shortcut we regret and hope Nick will forget. 
      God our Father and Wise Counselor never takes shortcuts or makes short-term decisions. Circumstances and emotions don't affect His goal of leading us to fulfill our eternal destinies. Sarah Young says in today's "Jesus Calling" entry that God places a "protective fog" over the future to teach us to focus on the One walking with us. We don't have to strain to see God through the rain or wait until the clouds clear. He's not dimmed by fog or smog. No shining view can eclipse Him and no mountain can hide Him. He's here with us as He promised: beside, before, behind, in our hearts, in our minds, our Firm Foundation underneath, and our Banner of Love overhead. We weren't designed to handle too much information. God created us to know and love Him, trusting Him to reveal the right amount of information at the right time. With God holding my right hand now and the promise that one day I'll see him face to Face, "the future's so bright, I've gotta wear shades."


Abba, open my eyes to Your constant Presence and wake my spiritual hands to feel Your firm grasp. Noisy circumstances and sloppy weather can't tear You from my side or hinder Your work in me. Lord, You're my all-weather Guide. You've prepared a destiny for me that excites me and fills me with wonder. Keep me from taking shortcuts like Sarah and Abraham with Hagaar or Rachel and Jacob with Isaac. Your timing is best. Keep me contentedly busy getting fully acquainted with You as we walk together. I don't want to miss a thing but I only want to know what You want me to know.


In the name of Jesus who, knowing all things, lived in step with You, Father-God


"Yet I still belong to You; You hold my right hand. You guide me with Your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny." Psalm 73:23-24 NLT


"Yet I am always with You; You hold me by my right hand. You guide me with Your counsel, and afterward You will take me into glory." Psalm 73:23-24 NIV


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
"Now we see things imperfectly as in a cloudy mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. all that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God knows me completely." 1 Corinthians 13:12 NLT


"For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." 1 Corinthians 13:12 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment