Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thursday, November 25, 2010 - From Grouchy to Grateful

    Our cats learned to turn on the radio alarm when they want to wake me. It was amazing and cute for a while but soon became murderously annoying. They've not used the radio since we've moved to Benton but find other devious ways to rouse me from REM sleep. This morning at 3:45 a.m. Zorra woke me from a deep sleep by charging things (Not by using our VISA to buy cat toys from the comfort of home but by running headlong into things to knock them down). Now I'm in no mood to write the Thanksgiving blog I had envisioned writing accompanied by candlelight and soft background music to match my inner peace. Instead, I'm grouchy and grouchy doesn't mix with gratitude.
     So, I'll apply what Jesus is calling me to do through my "Jesus Calling" devotional and "give thanks in all circumstances," so "the God of hope" will fill me with joy and peace as I trust in Him.  
     *Thank You, Lord, that I've not killed a cat or even maimed one, which means I've learned some self-control. I'm not bragging . . . I'm just saying . . .
     *Thank You that I'm up and writing now because we don't have as much time this morning with the church's Thanksgiving breakfast at 7:00 a.m.
     *Thank You that I don't have to cook breakfast but still get to enjoy eating with Tom, Nick and friends in our church family. 
     *Thank You for the invitations we received to spend Thanksgiving with other families. People can be so thoughtful and giving. 
     (I'm lighting a candle.)
     *Thank You Father, that Cruz's salvation means my side of the family is complete in You. Thank You for how You speak to us through children and use them to grow our faith. 
     *Thank You for salvation, for abundant life, for eternal life, for giving our lives on earth a purpose and a plan. 
     *Thank You for Tom - gifted, talented, sweet-spirited and modest Tom. You brought us together and You've blessed us together.
     *Thank You for Julie and Nick and their ministry together. You brought them together and now You bless others through them and are giving them a little one to love and teach them - and us - a world of new ways to love.  
     (I hear music!)
     *Thank You for Nicholas Robert Noland (Nick-a-Bob)who came along to keep us young and laughing and to do who knows what else to shine Your Light in this dark world. Oh, that boy amazes me!
     *Thank You for our parents and our brothers and sisters and their families. Each one enriches our lives even if we don't get to see them much.
     *Thank You for how You brought us to Benton. Thank You that we've never questioned whether or not we heard You correctly. We're overwhelmed with love here and pray You'll use us in this church that has made us feel such a part of them so quickly.
     *Thank You for Facebook, email and cell phones to keep us in touch with friends from other towns and churches. Our cup overflows with the friends You've given us, each unique and precious and much-needed. 
     *Thank You for our new home that felt like home from the first. Thank You for the gazebo (adorable with the little lighted tree and rocking chairs), the gate, the birdhouses and the bridge that add charm to each day. Thank You for the fence to give our pets some freedom in safety. 
     *Thank You for Little Mac, always glad to see us, always ready to go with us, smart as a whip and as loving as any dog could be.
     *That brings us back to the cats. Lord, thank You for Sonny and Zorra. Thank You for using them to get me up to spend time with You and write when I might miss the opportunity otherwise, especially on busy, full days that start early. 


In the name of Jesus, our greatest reason to live in gratitude, joy and peace!




"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

"Come near to God and He will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded." James 4:8


"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment