Monday, November 8, 2010

Monday, November 8, 2010 - Heebie-Jeebies

     What gives you the heebie-jeebies? sends chills up your spine? makes you break out in a cold sweat? What keeps you up at night? 
     When I was a little girl, I frightened easily, especially at night. My imagination ran wild at the slightest sound from outside our windows. I procrastinated going to bed because I was afraid of being the only one in the house awake to deal with whatever happened in the dark. Everyone else in my family fell asleep instantly if I didn't keep them awake. I pulled every trick in the book to keep somebody, usually my poor little sister, awake. First we were allowed to sing two or three songs and I prolonged the entire decision making process on which songs we'd sing and I always chose the longest ones. If she grew too quiet I'd tell her entertaining or scary stories. Sometimes I said things I knew would make her mad just so she would wake up and fuss with me rather than go to sleep. When she fell asleep exhausted in spite of my efforts, I tried to hear what my parents were watching on television. As they headed to bed I quickly drummed up a question of crucial importance to the family's well-being to ignite their interest and hopefully, a lengthy discussion. I was always surprised they felt the matter could wait until morning and sent me back to bed, dreading the moment they turned out the lights and the house grew quiet. 
    We're all grown up now and we've left many childhood fears behind but grown up fears and worries now haunt us and grow bigger than life when we feel alone. Notice I said "feel alone" and not "are alone." I believe Jesus "felt alone" on the cross, but I don't believe for a moment that God turned His back or left Him alone. God's grace is bigger than an eternity of sin. God's promise is that He is our God, He never changes, and He never leaves us alone so why would Jesus be the exception? What else but God's strength and Presence would account for Jesus' ability to forgive those who crucified Him? How else could Jesus, a man dying of suffocation, have raised a loud voice to announce "It is finished?" What other source than God's grace would have allowed Jesus to "give up the ghost" right after this loud announcement? All these things proved His Presence and Who was in charge. God didn't break His promise to His Promise and He doesn't break His promise to us.

Father, if I'm wrong about where You were when Jesus was on the cross, show me, but until You do, I choose to believe Your promises. Today will be a difficult day for many reading this prayer, surprise them with Your pulsating Presence and Strength. Show those who dread Mondays that You are God of Mondays. May we be people who relax because You're bigger than what this day holds and bigger than our deepest fears. We face the unknown daily, thank You for Your consistent faithfulness to Your promises and Your people. Guide us to let You steer us through the day, one step at a time. Remind us of all the times You've carried us through difficult days in the past. Whisper to us to "Stop. Be still. Know Me. Remember Who is on your side, working all things for your good." We sing praises to Your name on this day of new opportunities to trust You. Bring it on, Lord, as You keep us safely buckled into Your Love and Power!

In the name of Jesus who was willing to feel separated from You so we would never be alone!
  "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

"But You remain the same, and Your years will never end." Psalm 102:27

"'For in Him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are His offspring.'" Acts 17:28

No comments:

Post a Comment