Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 (Happy Birthday, Daddy!) - Triple Play



     Last Friday we celebrated my dad's birthday and I wanted Daddy to know I thought of how to celebrate his day, especially after everything turned out better than expected: people showed up to celebrate with us at the Varsity and the rest of the room full of strangers joined in to sing "Happy Birthday" to him, the rain cleared, the night turned cooler, the Braves won their 10,000th franchise win (11-1) and there were fireworks after the game. Yes, I came up with the perfect way to celebrate my Atlanta born and bred father. Ahhh! 
     However, I soon shrunk down to my normal chastised self when I woke up in the night remembering it was my sister, Crystie, who called in April and said, "What can we do to celebrate Daddy's birthday this year?"  Her forethought was the reason for our big celebration. She also made the calls and purchased the tickets and our brother, Tom, volunteered to take care of some finishing touches as well. The three of us teamed up to pitch in and do what we could to express our love to a wonderful dad. 

"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, 
that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."
John 3:16  

     When I hear, read or think of John 3:16, I forget these words poured out of the mouth of the Gift Himself. Jesus referred to Himself in third person (ironic?) and kept the focus on His Father God.  He could have rightly said, "I love the world so much that I've come in unique form to save people who believe in Me from death so they can live eternally." However, Jesus didn't grasp for credit but pointed Nicodemus to the Giver rather than the Gift. He followed through on His Father's Plan and the Holy Spirit came later to put the icing on the cake, so to speak. Now Jesus sits at the Right Hand of God, exalted and empowered. His humility and submission took Him to the highest position in the universe. 
     I've got a long road ahead of me in still learning to humble myself and take a backseat to God's Will and Purpose. Thank God, His Grace keeps me on His team even if I end up sitting on the bench a good deal. 
     Lord, forgive me for pride and credit grabbing. We're all on the same team, all working for Your Glory. And, if we're not, bench us and get us back on track. Sharpen our sensitivity and foresight. Help us appreciate all those who pitch in to do what they can. May we be all about You and less about ourselves,
In the Name of Jesus Who pointed others to You,

No comments:

Post a Comment