Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - This Time

"He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and He will deliver us.  
On Him we have set our hope that He will continue to deliver us." 
2 Corinthians 1:10-11
The Batman television series of the 60s was notorious for cliffhangers leaving Batman in peril until the next episode, or at least until after the commercial break.  At five, six and seven years old, my spoof-spotting skills hadn't kicked in so I needed to know Batman, or Robin, would be rescued from that gigantic circular log saw,  swinging pendulum blade, or deep freeze.  Deep down I knew Batman had to survive his latest deadly dilemma, but the nagging question always hung in my gullible child's mind: "What if he doesn't escape this time?" I always  stayed tuned to the same Bat-channel for the same Bat-time to know beyond any shadow of a doubt that my hero was safely back to putting villains with outrageous fashion sense behind bars. 
    My faith in God's deliverance matures at an equally gullible and immature rate, it seems.  In spite of deeply etched episodes in my life when God delivered me,  I still have to stay tuned to God's Heart and His timing.  Cocky, colorful adversaries press the over-sized doubt button in my mind and I wonder, "Will my Hero rescue Robin, this time?" This time presents a different situation, a different villain, a different weapon. This time I'm not living as closely to the Lord;  I've not been obedient to His nudging; I brought this on myself; other people have hotlines to God but I don't; etc., etc. and so forth.  This time is more perilous, more deadly, more depressing, more urgent, more, more, more . . . more than God?  There's always an excuse to doubt God's ability to act heroically in our lives when the truth is in the re-runs: He always comes through for those who stayed tuned. 
Father, You're our Protector and Advocate who can overcome all the enemies, obstacles and adversaries in our lives. Your plan stays unchanged in spite of false endings and melodramatic soliloquies from our nagging, doubtful heart. Keep us anchored in the many ways You've saved us. We're in Your Mighty Hands and Your Love will keep us forever close to Your Heart. 
In the Name of Jesus, our Protector, our Truth, our God
 "Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might." 
Ephesians 6:10
"Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me, for in You My soul takes refuge.  
I will take refuge in the shadow of Your wings until the disaster has passed." 
Psalm 57:1

No comments:

Post a Comment