Saturday, July 2, 2011

Saturday, July 2, 2011 - Summer School

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven." 
Ecclesiastes 3:1
     Much to Nick's consternation, he and I are watching a DVD series that teaches students how to study. Maybe the pursuit of academic excellence seems a little out-of-season, but better now than never (My opinion, not Nick's. He's all for losing the average 30% of what he learned over the summer.) 
     Nick's a great student who makes excellent grades, but this series isn't about making good grades: it's about learning. The lecturer defines the point of learning, the "a-ha" moment, as the process of connecting new information or a new concept to something we already understand. He then proceeds to teach students how to use this definition to study and learn more efficiently.
     Jesus was the Master of this form of teaching: "Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns and yet your heavenly Father feeds them." ("Why, yes, Lord, You're right: I've never seen any little bird farms or barns in our neighborhood. Those little guys live, Dave Ramsey forbid, wing to beak, so to speak.) "Are you not much more valuable than they?" (Matt. 6:26) ("A-ha! I don't have to worry myself sick because I can trust God to take care of me, too, praise You, Jesus!")
     We must be frustrating students for the Lord because we tend to forget what we've already learned when it comes to facing an unknown future. If I look back through my notes, I see where my heavenly Father has carried me through heartbreaking moments, sickness, near-death experiences, new frontiers, ground-breaking opportunities, my own stupidity and stubbornness, my ignorance on a million topics, transitions, dark days, dreary seasons, and lost relationships. I see the first building blocks for child-rearing, for marriage, for willingness to do things according to His Textbook, and sometimes I've connected the dots quickly while other tests prove I only memorized a verse but didn't really learn or absorb what God was teaching me.
"For a man's ways are in full view of the LORD, and He examines all his paths." 

Proverbs 5:21
Maybe those lost lessons are the reasons He seems to enroll me in summer school on an annual basis. 
"If the LORD delights in a man's way, He makes his steps firm; 
though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with His Hand." 
Psalm 37:23-24
Father, I want to be a star student, front and center, both ears and heart open to Your Wisdom. Help me build on what You've taught me about Your Love and Grace so fear of the future, mine or my loved ones',  doesn't rule my life. Remind us all of Your past and present care so we can live with our heads up, knowing You'll be present with us in the future as well. Fill this day with dozens of "a-ha!" moments or with just one major experience that coats on another sweet layer of understanding about Who You are and how much You care.
In the Name of Jesus, the Master Teacher of Life Lessons
Inspired by Live Loved by Max Lucado
photo from my photos

No comments:

Post a Comment