Thursday, July 21, 2011

Thursday, July 22, 2011 - One Fell Swoop Or Bit By Bit

"All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves;
for the battle is the LORD's and He will give all of you 
(Goliath and all you Philistines) into our hands." 
1 Samuel 17:47
     A long time ago in a state far away I was a 38 year old post delivery mother who'd had a C-section in November but wanted to play on our church's women's softball team. Softball was my sport as a child and teenager but there was no way to get that traumatized body in shape to play by that first spring after Nick's arrival. So, I determined to be on the field the next year and planned a training program of diet and exercise. Out with the fats and sugars and in with nutritious foods! I would walk and work out with weights to increase endurance and strength. I even put the recycling bin across the garage to develop accuracy by throwing cans and bottles into it and I bought a new aerobic workout video.
     The morning I began my training, I was pumped and ready to sweat.  I put the workout video in the player, found my eye of the tiger, gave myself a pep talk and jumped into the warmup section. The first 30 seconds went well, but as I realized all this stretching made me tired and sleepy, I faced the possibility of losing this battle. My body screamed at the thought of standing in a hot field for an entire inning or running bases. I had taken on a giant and I lay in the floor wondering whether it was worth my time and effort to take him down or if it would be better to admit defeat before I started and failed. 
     When we face a giant that would mow over us without blinking, we must decide, does this giant need to go down? What is this giant keeping me from doing for God or forcing me to do that goes against God? And is the giant in my life one that must be completely destroyed (addiction) or one that simply needs reverting to normal size? 
     The giants casting shadows over our lives sometimes arise as unreasonable bosses, spouses with issues, strong-willed children, difficult neighbors, co-dependent family members, and mockers of our faith. A second group of fist-wielding giants represent themselves through situations that handle us instead of us handling them. A third group of giants grow from the rogues inside us of personal addiction, fear, poor health, controlling natures, pride, lack of self-discipline, and so forth. This third group convinces us they've been in control for so long that it's futile to fight them. 
     Is it worth the fight? Of course. Will we have the strength to carry us through the ordeal ahead of us? Only if we hide in the arms of God Who arms us with His Strength, makes us bold, prepares the way for us and goes before us. Every giant represents a spiritual battle that can only be handled in the strength of the Lord Who will bring it down to size.    
    David, with the Lord's help, took Goliath down in one fell swoop while it took me an entire year to slay my giant. It would have been great to have the weight fall off and the muscles tone overnight but the training and self-discipline I endured resulted in a great softball season the next spring. I even enjoyed the post-game soaks and falling sore and exhausted into bed.  Was it worth it? Yes. How much more worth the battle when it's something greater than softball. 

"When I called, You answered me;
You made me bold and stouthearted."
Psalm 138:3
"But I will sing of Your strength, 
in the morning I will sing of Your love; 
for You are my Fortress, 
my Refuge in times of trouble."
Psalm 59:16
"It is God Who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect;"
2 Samuel 22:33
Inspired by Live Loved by Max Lucado
clip art from Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment