Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sunday, July 10, 2011 - Nice going, Copernicus!

     While in Florence, Italy, I saw the tomb of Galileo, a father of modern astronomy who supported Copernicus' theory that the Sun, rather than the Earth, is the center of the Universe (as our solar-system was once known). Just as Pluto plunged from planet to "dwarf planet" in 2006,  the truth demoted Earth from her assumed throne by naming the rightful center.  Galileo caused such a stir by supporting these unorthodox ideas that the Catholic church wouldn't allow him buried inside the premises at his death, but there he lies in a fancy tomb inside the Basilica of Santa Croce with all the pomp and circumstance due his genius and courage because Truth wins in the end. 
     I've been toppled from many assumed thrones. As a bright high school student, I joined a mass of brighter, more confident high school students at college and the Truth became apparent: I wasn't as smart as I thought I was.  When I married, I found there were other ways to do things and another set of needs to consider and I had to share a throne and even abdicate it at times. When the babies came home with us, I served them and had little time to sit on a throne.  
     In fact, decades ago, my throne should have been dwarfed to a footstool, but I re-inflate it occasionally and take a seat to see how I do at ruling my own life.  It's usually a short ride before the toppling begins and I'm grasping for my footstool again, happy to have Jesus where He should be, on the throne at the center of my universe.  
"And God placed all things under His (Christ's) feet 
and appointed Him to be Head over everything for the church." 
Ephesians 1:22
    Lord Jesus, forgive me for trying to sit beside You instead of sitting at Your feet. You're King of kings. You're King of the Universe and Your Word can shift the heaven's and a person's heart. Shift mine to love, trust, and obey You.  Keep me from building my own thrones as I allow You to be Who You were destined to be.
In Your own Name I pray, Son of the Living God
Inspired by Live Loved by Max Lucado
photo from google images

No comments:

Post a Comment