Thursday, July 28, 2011

Thursday, July 28, 2011 - Gotta sing!


"And so we know and rely on the love God has for us."
1 John 4:16

"We love because He first loved us."
1 John 4:19
     When Addy was six or seven weeks old, Julie called to tell me about a milestone in their path together as mother and child. 
Addy wearing Daddy's cap backwards in a Chinese restaurant.
Life's just one adventure after another.
Coco and Addy feeling the love.
     "I heard her crying and walked into her room talking to her," Julie told me. "As soon as she saw me, she stopped crying. She knew I would 'fix it.' She trusts me! It melted my heart!"       Julie went on to say that even when she took off Addy's swaddling and changed her diaper, that sweet baby didn't cry again, even though she was hungry. What an important breakthrough when a baby learns she can rely on her parents to meet her needs and "fix it," whatever "it' may be. 
     Little ones learn untold things through our examples and consistency. See my favorite picture of Addy and me to the right?  Notice how we're both squinching our eyes when we smile? She's mimicking me. That's my "I love you to pieces" smile and she's giving it right back to me. 
     We could learn a thing or two from Addy. When we find ourselves alone and hungry, the Word teaches us to cry out to our Father Who loves us. We're pretty good at that part. Then, God, faithful, ready, and mighty to save, stirs on our behalf as He's always done and always will do. Now, when it's our turn to quiet down, wait patiently, and melt His heart with our trust in Him, we continue screaming and kicking while He attends the most urgent matters in our lives.   
     Our Father loves us to pieces. He tends to us, delights in us and rejoices over us. We inspire Him to sing just as my own children and Addy have inspired me to write silly spontaneous songs to express my joy in them.  If we'll let His Presence and Love quiet us and draw us to gaze into His unconditional Love, we may find ourselves singing spontaneously and squinching our eyes to give it right back to Him.
"May the Lord direct your hearts into God's love and Christ's perseverance."  
2 Thessalonians 3:5
"The LORD your God is with you, He is mighty to save. 
He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing." 
Zephaniah 3:17
Inspired by Julie, Nick and Addy Akin
photos from my Priceless Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment