Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sunday, July 17, 2011 - Time Is Like a Chili Dog

     We celebrated my dad's 70th birthday Friday night by meeting up at the Varsity in downtown Atlanta for chili dogs, chili burgers, onion rings and frosted orange shakes before going to a Braves game.  I grew up with this occasional greasy shock to my system and the Varsity represents some great memories. Now that I live so far away, I rarely get to eat there, but if I had eaten enough onion rings to make up for lost time or stored enough chili dogs away for the future, I would've ruined the moment, the evening and possibly the next several days. My taste buds said, "More!" but my brain said "Whoa!"
     Time is like a chili dog: best handled in small doses. Cramming too many days into our minds at one time overloads our systems and causes extreme discomfort to our minds and spirits.  Jesus called us to take it easy and avoid unnecessary "heartburn" by trusting God to guide us through the day we're living. 
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. 
Each day has enough trouble of its own."
Matthew 6:34
     When tomorrow dawns with new worries, God will provide what we need to conquer them: His Presence, 
"No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." 
Romans 8:37
His Plan,
"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps." 
Proverbs 16:9
and His Light.
"You are my lamp, O LORD; the LORD turns my darkness into light." 
2 Samuel 22:29
     Take small bites, chew slowly and savor the day. 
LORD God, forgive us when we live as if it's all up to us to figure out the future: ours and everyone else's. Soothe our anxious hearts with Your Presence. Feed us with Your Word. You are our Good God and You dish out only what You'll strengthen us to handle. 
I love You, Lord, not only for holding my hand today, but for being with me through the night and ready to lead me again each new morning!
In the Name of Jesus, Who taught us to sing, "One Day at a Time." 

No comments:

Post a Comment