Friday, July 22, 2011

Friday, July 23, 2011 - Too Rich Not To Give

"Then Peter said, "Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. 
In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazarene, walk." 
Acts 3:6
    *When you think of specific global problems (hunger, clean water, orphans, education, health) do you automatically think "I can't help because those problems require tons of money, and I'm concerned with how to manage this month's bills?"  
     *Does hearing about community needs make you feel helpless as you wonder "How much will helping out set me back?" 
     *Are you convinced that X number of dollars would solve most of your personal dilemmas?  
     If you and I answer "yes" to any or all of these questions "yes," we need to shake ourselves out of the idea that our financial income determines our compassionate outflow. In the verse above, Peter told the needy beggar he didn't have even pocket change to give him. (Did cloaks have pockets? If not, HOW did biblical people manage?) That's where most of us would have panicked, said, "I'm sorry, wish I could help" and walked on into church, but not Peter.  Peter looked at the need and gave what he had: a faith healing. He lifted the man to his feet and walked with him into church. 
   Although I don't have the gift of healing, I can be a healing influence in people's lives by stopping, looking into their eyes, and listening before I introduce them to the Healer. I may not have pocket change to buy what people need but I do carry the Power they need to transform their lives. My bank account won't buy everyone bread but my prayers can open the door to the Bread of Life for people without Him. We're not helpless; Satan just wants us to think we are. We're not poor; on the contrary, we're too rich not to give. 
 "Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, 
just as in Christ God forgave you." 
Ephesians 4:32
"And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; 
the Lord will raise him up. 
If he has sinned, he will be forgiven." 
James 5:15
"Finally, brothers, good-by. Aim for perfection, listen to my appeal, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you." 
2 Corinthians 13:11
Father, You empowered fishermen to bring people to You through healing, faith, and testimony. We're rich in You as well. We don't have to ask ourselves what's in our wallets to give people Who they need. We don't have to limit or track how we open Your resources to others. Help us give ourselves away through kindness, compassion, forgiveness, and peace-making. Use us to bless the people You place in our paths today. 
In the Name of Jesus Who never offered anyone money to solve a problem

Inspired by Live Loved, by Max Lucado, and the book Try Giving Yourself Away, by David Dunn
photo from Google images

No comments:

Post a Comment