Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 - Do What?

     "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing so I'm playing it safe and staying ignorant."
     Staying (or playing) uninformed isn't as easy as it used to be. In 2011 we live in the fast lane of an information-saturated society and people trying to live an "Ignorance is Bliss" life motto must shun technology, avert their eyes from publications, and tune out all human contact. Info-allergic people feel ignorance is their best defense for doing nothing:
"I didn't know about this (event, deadline, need) so I'm not responsible;" 
"I don't know how to do what you're asking me to do and I'm too old/dumb/busy/lazy to learn;"
"I don't know the right people;" 
"There are so many needs I don't know what to do or how to start."
"I don't want to learn how to do anything new because that would be one more thing I'd have to feel guilty about not doing." 
    Jesus told the rich young ruler what to do to gain eternal life, but the young man walked away, wishing for his former ignorance, wishing he hadn't asked questions. I can't judge him because I've walked away from what Jesus' answers to my questions about His will for my life when I didn't like His answers and like that young man, I've missed many blessings. 
    "Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them." John 13:17
   Know what things? Do what? What had Jesus taught His disciples to do when He said this? What knowledge leads to blessings when we act on it? 
     Jesus, Creator of the Universe, King of kings and Lord of lords had just knelt before twelve pride-filled men to wash each nasty, dusty, unkempt foot with His soon-to-be scarred Hands. With His actions He said, "No one is "too good" to serve another person in the most humble, daily-need way." Because Jesus knelt to meet a need, we stand without excuse. 
"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, 
to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-- 
this is your spiritual act of worship. 
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of the world, 
but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. 
Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is -- 
His good, pleasing and perfect will." 
Romans 12:1-2
     When we don't know the next step God has for us, we can kneel and meet the next real need He places in our sight and our self-sacrifice will open the door to understanding the next step in God's will for us.
    Father, don't let us get away with ignorance and playing our lives out safely. There's no safety or bliss in not knowing Your Will and in not obeying Your commands. You've shown us the way we should go now help us get the lead out and step that way, or the rods out of our knees so we can kneel where You show us to kneel. We're stubborn in our ignorance but I pray for enlightened minds and quick hands to follow through on what we learn from You. 
In the Name of Jesus Who continually meets our most basic needs and reigns - Blessed and blessing!
Inspired by My Utmost for His Highest
photo from photobucket.com
     

No comments:

Post a Comment