Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sunday, June 5, 2011 - Because I said so.

I remember my children going through the "Why?" phase from the age of three until they started school.  Mostly they were simply in a teachable moment: "Why did God make bees?"  "Why is the ocean salty?"  "Why do people get sick?"  and the ever-popular, "Why is the sky blue?" Satisfying their inquiring minds was a challenge because any answer I gave them only triggered another "Why?"  Universities should develop a study program designed to help parents answer kids' most commonly asked "Why?" questions.
     While I thoroughly enjoyed finding the answers to their legitimate questions, a whiny "Why?" about a parenting decision always brought forth the dreaded shut-down phrase every parent resorts to when a child asks "Why?" one too many times:  "Because I said so."  As a child I hated to hear this phrase and as a parent I've hated to use it since it closes communication and leaves the feeling that there really wasn't a good explanation or answer. However, God's "Because I said so . . . " should inspire confidence. Because He said so, as long as I love and depend on the Him, I don't have to live in fear of anyone.
God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.'
So we say with confidence, 'The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. 
What can man do to me?'" 
Hebrews 13:5-6  


"'Because he loves Me,' says the LORD, 'I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges My name.  He will call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him My salvation.'" 
Psalm 91:14-15
Thank You, Father, for saying so . . . for putting Your foot down about some issues that could torment us. Thank You for being the Father we can depend on, because You said so. Lord lead us to love and trust You more today than we did yesterday!
In the name of Jesus, Your Word made flesh, Your Guarantee of our salvation!
Inspired by My Utmost for His Highest

No comments:

Post a Comment