Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - Crock Pot Christians

I'm watching the clock as I write this because we leave to take Nick to band camp at 7:30 this morning. I woke up planning, scheduling, listing and, you know, preoccupied with a deadline. Then I read the opening words of Jesus Calling for today:
"Wait patiently with Me while I bless you. Don't rush into My Presence 
with time-consciousness gnawing at your mind. I dwell in timelessness:
I am, I was, I will always be."
While many people say they work well or even best under pressure, spiritual growth happens when we invest a quantity of quality time. It would be more convenient if we could stick ourselves in a spiritual microwave, hit a pre-set button and bing! present ourselves armed and prepared for anything the day presents. However, my life disproves the rush technique and I've found God works more like a crock pot: the longer I simmer in Him the more tender I become toward Him, and the more He does to change me through and through, where I most need changing. 
"But as for me, I watch in hope for the LORD, 
I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me." 
Micah 7:7
"'I am the Alpha and the Omega,' says the Lord God, 
'who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.'" 
Revelation 1:8
"'The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn His face toward you and give you peace.'" 
Numbers 6:24-26
Dear Father, forgive us for putting in our orders, waiting impatiently, complaining about what You give us and then giving nothing in return. Any relationship deserves quality time. Forgive us when we try to rush Your masterpieces. Increase our willingness to wait for what You have that's better than what we're willing to accept just because it's ready. Work in us today - wherever we are, help us simmer in Your Presence, Your Love, Your Changing Power.
In the Name of Jesus Who went out to pray while it was still dark

No comments:

Post a Comment