Thursday, June 2, 2011

Thursday, June 2, 2011 - Cran Man


     Dave Ramsey's killing us. Yes, he's right about all things financial and, yes, he's helped us set goals and plan more wisely for the future, but the man has made himself too much at home.  As Brian Regin would say, he's like the Cran Man who's gone too far by putting cranberry juice in all the other juices on the beverage aisle. Dave's in every potential purchase and we squirm and pay dearly if we step outside the black and white print on the budget. The words, "I deserve this" have disappeared from our vocabulary. The good news about paying the price of self-denial for financial reasons is it's temporary. 
     The large crowds following Jesus probably dropped their jaws, and asked for clarification when Jesus told them,    
"If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother,  his wife and children, his brothers and sisters -- yes, even his own life -- he cannot be my disciple.  . . . anyone who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple." (Luke 14:26, 27, 33)
     Jesus knows we need certain things outlined in black and white and the cost of following Him is one of those black-and-white, either-or, in-or-out issues. If friends or family obstruct Jesus' path for my life, I'm to choose Jesus. If anyone's demands on my life conflict with Jesus' commands, I'm to choose Jesus. When a human relationship threatens to unseat or override my relationship to Him, I'm to choose Jesus. Yes, He's right about all things and yes, He's changed my life and goals so my future is secure for all eternity, but I still struggle with turning full face to Him and not glancing back at who or what I'm denying to follow Him, especially if it's my own face I see behind me.
"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, 
I will be exalted in the earth." 
Psalm 46:10
"Dear friends, now we are children of God, 
and what we will be has not yet been made known. 
But we know that when He appears, we shall be like Him, 
for we shall see Him as He is." 1 John 3:2
Father, I look forward to the time when we'll see You for Who You are and will no longer struggle to follow You. Meanwhile, charge us with love for You. Free Your Holy Spirit to open every facet of our lives to receive Your love and to loving You with all our hearts, souls, minds, and strength. Exalt and magnify Yourself in us and may nothing and no one compete with Your number one position in our hearts.
In the Name of Jesus, Who taught us to count the cost and follow Him 
Inspired by My Utmost for His Highest and Jesus Calling
photo from photobucket.com

No comments:

Post a Comment