Saturday, June 25, 2011

Saturday, June 25, 2011 - No Mileage, Low Mileage

"If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 
Give to the one who asks you, 
 and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you." 
Matthew 5:41-42
     Beth Moore said something at this spring's  Living Proof Seminar in Little Rock that touched a sensitive core in this minister's wife's heart. She noted that with all the recent talk and teachings about setting healthy boundaries in our lives, many of us use the idea of boundaries as an excuse to be selfish, ungiving, and to do what we want to do instead of fulfilling Jesus' command to "Go ye therefore."  Many believers build impenetrable fortresses around their lives under the sanction of keeping their priorities (God, Spouse/Children/Extended Family, Work and Church) in order.  
     Jesus took an extended trip to give us what no one else could. He poured out every bit of Love and Life He could and taught us to witness and minister in His Name "as we go" about the business of life.  Today we're to stop and minister to people who ask - or demand -  with one boundary in place:  "Go the extra mile and give more than you're asked to give." He didn't command us to solve everyone's problems or to be their savior, but He did say forgive, bless, give, and go farther than asked or expected to honor and please God the Father. 
"Blessed are they who maintain justice, who constantly do what is right."
Psalm 106:3
"Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness."
James 3:18
"Whoever gives heed to instruction prospers, and blessed is he who trusts in the LORD."
Psalm 16:20
Lord, I love to hide. I love to reach out only as far as my arms can reach through this privacy fence I've constructed around my heart and life. I love controlling to whom, when, how and how much I give. I'm nothing like Jesus and I ask Your forgiveness and help in this area now. There was a time I went too far in helping - so far, in fact, that I lost sight of Who the real Help is and sacrificed some of the priorities You've given me. Now, maybe due to burnout, fear, hurt, or sheer laziness, many of Your children have "holed up" in the safe confines of self and cliques. Do what You need to do to lay that two extra miles road before me and part of someone else's burden on my shoulders. Don't let me get away with a self-absorbed, disobedient life. 
In the Name of Jesus Who gave all He had for me when I didn't know I needed Him to give
Inspired by Living Loved by Max Lucado
photo from photobucket.com

No comments:

Post a Comment