Thursday, August 25, 2011

Thursday, August 25, 2011 - Me, Myself and I Aren't Speaking

"Come to Me all you who labor and are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Transitions look so much smoother on paper.  Distances appear closer on a map and  fool you into thinking a group of first or fifth graders can get from point A to point B and still accomplish something worthwhile in 15 minutes. Praise God many of our kids' choir classes last night had good experiences, but for the most part, working out the logistics, dealing with emergencies and trying to calm excited children left little time for learning.  I came home whispering "mercy" more times than I care to mention.   
     Running on four hours sleep didn't help since I'm less than my best when I'm tired in body and weary in soul. As a result, "Me," "Myself" and "I" aren't speaking to each other.  I find that if I listen to myself when I'm in this mode I only sink further into self-blame, blaming others, frustration, tears, and "fight and flight," instead of one or the other.  When I'm weary and burdened, overwhelmed or frustrated, it's best to do what Lucado says: "Stop talking to yourself. Talk to Christ, who invites." 
     "I" says "I can't" while "Me" wants to know what's in it for her and "Myself" only worries about what others think, so nothing worthwhile is accomplished until they all go to Jesus and let Him unite them in His Healing Peace and Hope. No tea parties or girls' night out for these three until they sit together at Jesus' feet in praise and prayer mode, handing Him every little logistical and technical difficulty to smooth. 
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." 
Philippians 4:6-7
"Why are you downcast, O my soul? 
Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him." 
Psalm 43:5
Lord, I fall at Your Feet today, praising You that You call me to bring every petition to You.  Clap Your Hand over my mouth and mind when I'm not speaking in problem-solving ways. Lift my spiritual eyes to see You and open my heart to embrace You. Strengthen our immunity to Satan's favorite tool of discouragement. May we stop listening to ourselves and to his influence as we turn ourselves fully to You in faithful praise and petition. Thank You for loving us enough to call us to You on both our best and worst days and all the days between them.
In the Name of Jesus Who trampled the temptation to quit or become discouraged!
Inspired by Live Loved, by Max Lucado and my own shortcomings
photo from Google images


No comments:

Post a Comment