Thursday, August 11, 2011

Thursday, August 11, 2011 - Disco Dust

"for He knows how we are formed, He remembers that we are dust."
Psalm 103:14
     Nick quipped last night, "What do you do in a dilemma? You make di-lemma-nade!" I like it and I'm going to keep it as a favorite saying among others I've collected  from wise people through the years.
     When I was 24 and still wet behind the ears about marriage, ministry and later, motherhood, God provided friends with invaluable help and timely advice. Eugenia's favorite saying to soothe was (and still is), "This too will pass, Robin. Just give it time."  Energetic Jane lives according to the school of gumption and would say to herself and to me when either of us faced a tough situation, "You just have to do what you have to do," then she would do what she had to do and, inspired, I would stiffen my spine to do what I needed to do, too. June, gentle June would say, "Balance, Robin, it's all about balance."  All three came to mind today when I read Mr. Max's devotional. 
     The verse at the top of this blog should comfort us. We're as frail as dust, as fragile as clay pots and God knows it but still expects us to "do what we have to do."  People say, "Life's too short to have to deal with..." (difficult people, housework, things I don't enjoy, and so forth) but, as believers we have to be careful with this saying. If we mean "Life's all about getting the most and suffering the least" then God says, "Whoa, there!" Paul wrote, "Our light affliction, which is but for a moment is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory" (2 Cor. 4:17).  God says, "I'm telling you "this too will will pass (more quickly than you can imagine);" "You've got to do what you've got to do (with My Strength and Wisdom), and "Don't let temporary troubles throw you off balance now because in time I'm going to topple the scales in your favor with the eternal weight of glory."  
     Dance the two-step, dusty friend! Cha-cha-cha, children of God and boogie through those bad days, because God's going to play a glorious new song in no time.
"yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior" 
Habakkuk 3:18
"Then my soul will rejoice in the LORD and delight in His salvation."
Psalm 35:9
"I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God. 
For He has clothed me with garments of salvation
and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." 
Isaiah 61:10







No comments:

Post a Comment