Saturday, August 6, 2011

Saturday, August 6, 2011 - Out of the Stands

"How great is Your goodness, which You have stored up for those who fear You,
which You bestow in the sight of men on those who take refuge in You." 
Psalm 31:19
"In the day when I cried out, You answered me, 
and made me bold with strength in my soul." 
Psalm 138:3
"Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, 
for His compassions never fail.
They are new every morning; great is Your Faithfulness."
Lamentations 3:22-23
"Nehemiah said, 'Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, 
and send some to those who have nothing to prepare. 
This day is sacred to our Lord. 
Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength."
Nehemiah 8:10
     My parents were wonderful cheerleaders when I played softball. The first year I dropped the only ball that hit my glove and made it to first base twice (I think). They never fussed. I could hear them yelling in the stands "Go Big T, you can do it." (Since our last name was Trimble, we were all "Big T" when we were at bat.) I heard their excitement and laughter when I did well, and if they were ever disappointed in me as a softball player, I didn't know it.  And, I am proud to say, they never overstepped their boundaries by coming onto the playing field. They stayed where cheering parents stay: in the stands or pacing just outside the fence. Sometimes they passed a Coke through the fence into the dugout for me but they watched from their side of the fence while I played on the other side.  At home, Mama made me milkshakes to put some weight on me and Daddy practiced with me, but in a game, I was on my own, as it should be in girls' Dixie League softball.
     When Julie and Nick played ball, I discovered the restraint it takes to stay off the field, to keep your hands from around the other coach's neck, or to keep from taking your child's victories and defeats personally. Sometimes I hated the fence and sometimes I was glad it was there to keep me from jumping into a battle that wasn't mine to fight.
     Praise God, He has no boundaries when it comes to His children. All our battles are His to fight. He tears down fences and stays where He's supposed to stay as our God-Father: with us and in us as Coach, Commander, and Inspiration. 
     Thank You, Father, that these verses and promises don't say, "Go get -em, tiger! You can do it! I'm over here in the stands cheering for you!"  After all, that's the best most of us parents can do for our children. We stay off the playing field if we don't want to be kicked out of the game, or out of their lives, altogether. Not You - it's Your field, and Your Game. Every day You step in to prove Your Love to us and You fill and refill us like pitchers to pour out and refresh others with testimonies of Your Strength, Joy and Goodness.  
     You command us to cry out to You in every spiritual battle, to let You take the hits and provide the Strength as You stay near enough to whisper Your sure orders. You call us to rejoice as refugees who hide in Your Strength. May our joy in You bless You. May we not grieve You with our anxiety, our fear, our lack of faith. Don't let us live to be heroes but to heroically submit to Your Plan. Bring to mind all the times You've deflected disaster in the past so we'll rejoice and trust in Your Strength, Your Provision, and Your Wisdom for today. Ironically, victory is ours when we cry, as long as we cry out to You, our God. Come, Lord Jesus! Lift, heal and revive Your people. Lead us to victory with You as our Commander. 
In the Name of Jesus Who cried out in a loud voice, "Father, into Your Hands I commit My Spirit" before taking refuge from a world of trouble into the full glory of God.

Inspired by Live Loved, by Max Lucado
photo from Google images



No comments:

Post a Comment