Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thursday, February 24, 2011 - Leaning Towers and Shaky Pedestals

     As soon as my eyes opened this morning I remembered that today I'll substitute at the high school for the first time. Suddenly home sounds safe and stress-free. I don't have to risk my blood pressure rising or my mouth getting me into trouble when I'm home alone. However, Mr. Chambers yanked my chain again with yet another reminder that the pride-based goals of protecting my reputation and staying out of trouble are mine and not God's goals for me.
 "When a man says he must develop a holy life alone with God, he is of no more use to his fellow men; he puts himself on a pedestal, away from the common run of men." (Oswald Chambers)  
     Pedestals are built on the rotten wood of our perfectionistic pride and concern that other people will contaminate our holiness. Using my relationship with Jesus as an excuse to avoid entangling myself in the "real world" must deeply cut the heart of the One who sacrificed His safety and stress-free heavenly home to rub elbows with sinners. If God's goal for us were only to "be holy as I am holy" we could all go home and live like hermits, studying and praying and glutting on His Goodness and Grace. 
          "So I will very gladly spend for you everything I have and expend myself as well.
If I love you more, will you love me less?" 
2 Corinthians 12:15
     Pride comes in many forms but the most dangerous for me centers around the temptation to make personal holiness my goal rather than allowing it to form naturally as a by-product of my relationship with God. 
"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. 
Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." 
1 Corinthians 13:12
     God's Love breaks through pride's dams and washes away the rotten wood of pedestals and ivory towers. No one is beneath us and no task is too menial for the children of God in winning people to Christ. No rude response, snide sarcasm, stabbing spite, cold unbelief, ill-bred behavior, awful attitude or ungrateful apathy can stop the rising flood of God's Love from our lives into theirs. Only our pride and prejudices can do that.
"I pray that out of His glorious riches He may strengthen you with power 
through His Spirit in your inner being, 
so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. 
And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 
may have power, together with all the saints, 
to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 
and to know this love that surpasses knowledge -
that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." 
Ephesians 3:16-18
Father, You alone are holy so keep me from the pride of thinking I can build my tower of Babel to reach where you are by separating myself from other people. Use me today by letting Your Love overcome all barriers - especially the ones my pride constructs between me and what I disdain or fear. I humble myself before You because I don't want You to do it. Forgive me for the pride that hinders Your work through me. Time is short. The signs are everywhere. Don't let others die without You because I was unwilling to kneel and wash their feet.
In the Name of Jesus Who taught us to serve others rather than lording over them our petty superiorities.
Inspired by My Utmost for His Highest and Jesus Calling
Photo from my personal photos, Leaning Tower Of Pisa

No comments:

Post a Comment