Saturday, February 5, 2011

Saturday, February 5, 2011 - Squeezing the life out of me

"The only thing you can grasp without damaging your soul is My Hand" 
(Sarah Young, Jesus Calling)
     Dave Ramsey uses the illustration of a clenched fist to demonstrate how stingily hoarding money keeps money in the fist but also doesn't allow for more to be added. On what (or who?) do I have a death grip?  I can't help but think of poor old Lennie in John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men who "loved" his pet mouse to death by squeezing it too hard. 
     If I stand worshiping God with open hands, I'm showing Him He can take and give as He sees fit which means I need to check my mind and heart to make sure they agree with my hand signal. I'm wasting my time and effort to open my hands to Him if I've clenched my heart and mind against His creative ways of working in and through me. When I open my hands to receive His blessings, I open them to receive His control as well. Am I ready for that?
    Would Joshua and the children of Israel have been brushing off the dust of Jericho's walls after they released a mighty shout if they had clenched their minds shut to God's new military strategy? Would the Red Sea have parted if Moses had said "No way!" when he understood God's command to raise the snake staff? People like Gideon and Zechariah (John the Baptist's doubtful daddy) had to have their minds pried open with a crowbar for God's Truth and plan to unfold and allow for victory, life and light. We're a funny bunch to operate on ten percent of our brains yet be so cock-sure of what can and can't be done by our Mighty God. "And without faith it's impossible to please God" (Heb. 11:6)  Sin leads to a faith-less life and a faith-less life is doomed to see no miracles. 



"The mind of sinful man is death, 
but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace;" 
Romans 8:6 
Father, when You need to pry open my mind, my heart or my hands - please do. For today, I pour myself out to be used as a tiny cog in Your Plan or front and center. Today, I open my life for Your Glory - I pour myself out - empty myself of every pre-conceived idea of how You work or think. No job is too menial or too great. You lead and I'll follow - joyfully worshiping You for Your Plans and giving You Glory for how You love the world and open Your throne room to all who will enter.
In the Name of Jesus Who poured Himself out, shedding His life's blood for people who would never fully appreciate His sacrifice.

"But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering
 on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, 
I am glad and rejoice with all of you." 
Philippians 2:17



"God is our refuge and strength, 
     an ever-present help in trouble. 
Therefore we will not fear, 
     though the earth give way 
          and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea." 
 Psalm 46:1-2

Inspired by Jesus Calling and My Utmost for His Highest
Photo from photobucket.com

No comments:

Post a Comment