Monday, February 7, 2011

Monday, February 7, 2011 - Peek-A-Boo

     Did you know Peek-A-Boo has a purpose other than keeping the baby entertained? Peek-A-Boo teaches a baby important life and spiritual lessons on which to build, such as:
1) The disappearing person will return;  
2) Patience;   
3) There's a face behind those hands, and
4) Just because I can't see someone, doesn't mean he's not there.
     Deep lessons for one of baby's first games. The author of Psalms 42 and 43 seems to have felt like a baby puckering up to cry because he was out of patience waiting for God to pop out and say "Peek-a-Boo - I'm here to save you!" The two psalms make up one continuous thought in which the psalmist talks alternately to God, then to himself. The man is spiritually dry from battling godless enemies and he makes no bones about his condition in his outbursts to the God he can't "see" in his circumstances.  His faith shines brighter, though, as he calls the Lord "the living God," "my Rock," "my Savior," "my stronghold." He reminds himself of times he felt God's Face shining full on him and encourages himself with the following words about the future:
"Why are you downcast, O my soul? 
Why so disturbed within me? 
Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God"
(Ps. 42:5 and 11; Psalm 43:5)
     On the third day after Jesus' crucifixion, two disciples headed home on the Emmaus Road with "their faces downcast" because they assumed Jesus had disappeared forever. When Jesus said "Peek-A-Boo, I didn't go anywhere, you slow-to-believe people!" they were back on the joyful track of faith (Luke 24:13ff). We want to see His Face and yes, we should always seek His Face, but God allows dark moments, days, and circumstances to teach us some important lessons, such as: 
1) He may seem to have disappeared but He will return;
2) Patience;
3) There's a Face behind the clouds of our disappointment and dejection; and,
4) Just because I can't see or "feel" Him doesn't mean He's not there. 
     Meanwhile, I'll rebuke my baby faith and rebuild my hope in God by remembering the ways He's revealed His faithfulness to me in the past and by counting my present blessings. Instead of waiting for Him to make a dramatic "Peek-A-Boo" entrance, I'll look for Him walking beside me on my path, in my home, at my table, and burning in in my heart (Luke 24:13ff). 
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, 
who have been called according to His purpose." 
Romans 8:28

Lord God, I'm thirsty to see Your Face. Reveal Yourself to us however You choose, but open our eyes and hearts to receive Your revelation as You send it. We're easily discouraged in our faith - mere toddlers who need Your deep and lasting lessons. May our faith in You grow to the point we trust Your heart no matter what happens around us or who questions our faith in You. Thank You for Your Gentleness and Patience with our immaturity. Let today be a day we take another step toward trusting You with everything. 
In the Name of Jesus who walked with and taught the unknowing disciples

Inspired by Jesus Calling and My Utmost for His Highest and thoughts of a new grandbaby
Photo from photobucket.com


No comments:

Post a Comment