Saturday, February 26, 2011

Saturday, February 26, 2011 - Peanut M&M's . . . mmmmmmm

     We're at the D6 Family Conference in Little Rock learning how to be a radical family based on Deuteronomy 6. Last night between the Bible study and the Game Gauntlet, my sweet tooth needed a "fix" and I stepped into the hotel's "Suite Shop" to see what was available. I saw my golden prize, Peanut M&M's, snuggled amongst all the second choice candies on the shelf.  However as I reached for satisfaction, the little Dave Ramsey pacing on my shoulder screamed in my ear: "Hotel prices! They want HOW MUCH for those half dozen peanuts wrapped in a little chocolate and colorful candy shells? Hey,if you've got cash they may take less, but don't you dare whip out the plastic!"  Evidently my hand is more committed to Financial Peace than my taste buds because I saw it retract as if the pretty yellow package was on fire. I sighed and took my seat with the others in the game area. 
     About the time we finished the Catch Phrase phase of our Game Gauntlet, Mason, a young man sitting in front of us, turned around with a bag of peanut M&M's and asked, "Do you want these?" Silly question! My overenthusiastic response probably scared him into keeping his candy to himself in the future. I cupped my hand, ready to receive one or two of the precious gems when he dropped the whole unopened bag on my palm.
     Was it a trick? Was I dreaming? Had Mason seen me in the Suite Shop? Why would he give away an unopened bag of PEANUT M&M's? Had he already completed the Financial Peace course and could now afford hotel-priced candy for others? I double checked with him, "Are you sure? Why don't you want them?" but he had simply changed his mind and given them to whomever was closest. 
    My friend Karin and I call moments like these "Serendipities" from God: times when He's like a daddy returning from a trip with surprises in his coat pockets for his children. Serendipities and Peanut M&M's aren't necessary to our relationship with God but they do remind us that:
      1: God loves to let us know He's thinking about us and that He knows our thoughts;
      2: He enjoys delighting us in tailor-made ways;
      3: He fills life with good surprises; 
      4: He uses us to bless each other so we need to follow through on those inner prompts and urgings God sets off in us. Our seemingly small sacrifice or gift may be a serendipity for the recipient;
      5: We'll never outgive Him;
      6: We'll never calculate how He'll solve the problems in our lives;
      7: Right choices and keeping commitments lead to blessing after blessing;
      8. God knows how to reward His children and He does;
      9. He uses little gifts to let us know He's working on fulfilling the deeper desires of our heart; and,
     10. Peanut M&M's taste even better when God gives them to us. 
Silly us! Of course, God is able to do more than we hoped or imagined! 
 "Sir," the woman said, "you have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. 
Where can You get this living water?" 
John 4:11
Father, help us trust You to do all Your Word says You can and will do. We'll never figure You out so relieve us of trying. Guide us to accept Your small gifts as reminders of Your amazing Love. Guide us to give You small gifts of our love along the way, too. Work in us to produce a greater faithfulness and discipline so we place ourselves in the path of Your blessings. Strengthen us to draw back our hands from what would weaken our commitment to You as we trust You to fill our hands with what will satisfy.
In the Name of Jesus Who drew back His hand from turning stones to bread 
Inpired by My Utmost for His Highest, my love of Peanut M&M's, and Mason's generosity
photo from photobucket.com

No comments:

Post a Comment