Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sunday, February 13, 2011 - Spiritual Cotton Swabs

     If or when you lose your hearing, I'll be the first person you avoid. All my life, my soft voice has either driven people nuts or lulled them to sleep. Not much intimidates me or makes me feel self-conscious but yelling is the exception and when I raise my voice it feels like I'm yelling. I'm still working on "getting over myself" to yell for other people's sakes, but it's one of those "outside my comfort zone" calls that doesn't come naturally.
    Praise God, He hears me, and as softly as He speaks sometimes, I hear Him when I tune in to His Presence. Our communication with God doesn't always center on words but when it does, we must believe and act on two things: We can hear God and He can hear us. 
    God started a life-long conversation with young Samuel who heard God's Voice but didn't recognize the Source. It's tragic that Eli, who did recognize God's Voice, was no longer invited to converse because he had stopped obeying God's Voice.  
"The LORD came and stood there, 
calling as at the other times, 
'Samuel! Samuel!' Then Samuel said, 
'Speak, for Your servant is listening.'"
1 Samuel 3:10
    During His three-year ministry, Jesus taught us by example and words that God not only speaks to us but He hears and responds to our end of the conversation as well. 
"So they took away the stone. 
Then Jesus looked up and said, 
'Father, I thank You that You have heard Me. 
I knew that You always hear Me,
but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here,
that they may believe that You sent Me.'"
John 11:41
   Jesus carried on the Family trait of communicating with His listeners when He resumed His conversation with the Disciples after His resurrection, teaching them that death couldn't stop Him from getting to them with what they needed. 
"On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, 
with the doors LOCKED for FEAR of the Jews,
Jesus came and stood among them and said, 
'Peace be with you!'" 
John 20:19



"Again Jesus said,
 'Peace be with you! 
As the Father has sent Me, I am sending you.'" 
John 20:21
    "This is pretty elementary, Robin. I can't believe I blogged on for this!" 
     Isn't it elementary? - and disturbingly profound. God speaks to us in ways we can hear Him, if we choose to hear Him, and He hears us when we speak to Him. 
     If these are elementary lessons we learned long ago, why are we anxious instead of enjoying His Peace that passes understanding? If our basic training pounded these truths into our hearts, then why are our hearts troubled? Why do we allow FEAR to LOCK us in from certain people and situations? God speaks "Peace" and again speaks "Peace." If I'm not yet intimately acquainted with His Peace on a regular basis, then can I say I'm really listening to and obeying God - or do I need to invest in cotton swabs for my spiritual receptors?  
"Peace I leave with you;
My peace I give you. 
I do not give to you as the world gives. 
Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." 
John 14:27


Father-God, Speak, Lord, for Your servants are listening. Speak Your Peace into our hearts and minds once more. Speak whatever You want to speak, but speak. Time and again You speak to bring us Peace but we push Your Peace aside to obsess, dwell and grow restless. We stay troubled and we're fearful - as if our God doesn't see or hear us. Take us back to square one and teach us these basic lessons once again: listening, praying, obeying and receiving Your untouchable Peace. Thank You for Your willingness to keep speaking and may we never be like the prophet Eli who heard Your Voice, knew Your Voice, but acted as though You hadn't spoken. Show us where we've failed to obey You if disobedience is what's blocking out Your Voice.
In the Name of Jesus who speaks Peace to those who will receive it!


Inspired by Jesus Calling and My Utmost for His Highest
Photo from photobucket.com



No comments:

Post a Comment