Monday, February 14, 2011

Monday, February 14, 2011 - Kept in the Dark

      "Ignorance is bliss" may be true about bed bugs, but most people don't like to be kept in the dark about matters that matter to them. Facing multiple scenarios leaves me in the dark: Will the test be positive or negative? Are my children/parents safe and healthy? Will we have enough to live on when we retire or not? Not knowing how to respond to a situation or a person leaves me in the dark: Is it time to invest more time and energy or let go?  Am I being manipulated or informed? Am I helping or enabling? If I don't know what God wants me to do, I'm in the dark: Go? Stay? Act? Pray? Chambers suggestion for those of us kept in the dark is "Then remain quiet. If you open your mouth in the dark, you will talk in the wrong mood: darkness is the time to listen." (Great advice, but where, again, are the brakes for my mouth, Mr. Chambers?) I'd like to add, "Don't even whistle." Peter the Disciple coped with uncertain moments by making noise and was told to shut up and listen. Filling our ears with our own bravado or the advice of human experts muffles God's Voice in the background. My personal experience testifies our Abba will keep us in the dark until we hear what He has to say. He doesn't keep us there to frustrate or depress us and He doesn't deliver us to make us feel better. He keeps us in the dark to listen and He delivers us to proclaim.  
"What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; 
what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs."
Matthew 10:27 
     Lord, You know our hearts: We like quick answers and bottom lines. Being kept in the dark feels like torture when all we want to know is what to DO. Fear rises to hide Your all-encompassing plans and our hope flickers in indecisive winds when we listen to other voices. You've promised to take hold of us and help us.       
"For I am the LORD, your God, 
Who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, 
'Do not fear; I will help you.'"
Isaiah 41:13
    Open our eyes to see the Face of the One Who faced the darkest day because He knew You would deliver Him for Your kingdom's sake. 
"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, 


the Author and Perfecter of our faith,
Who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, 
and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." 
Hebrew 12:2
    Tune our hearts and minds to Your Voice while You muffle all other voices - especially our own. And God, give us the courage to proclaim from the roofs whatever You teach us. May we let You use us to help others hear Your Voice and not our own.
In the Name of Jesus Whose death on a dark day opened the gates to the Eternal Light of God's throne room!
Inspired by My Utmost for His Highest and Jesus Calling
photo from photobucket.com




No comments:

Post a Comment