Friday, February 25, 2011

Friday, February 25, 2011 - Love You More

The kids and I used to play a game you've probably played with your children or grandchildren. The game combines words, math and love. Here's a sample dialogue.       
    Julie: "I love you, mama," or, Nick: "I love you, mom." 
    Me: "I love you more."
    Julie or Nick: "Nuh-huh. I love YOU more."
    Me: "I love you infinity."
    Julie or Nick: "I love you more than in . . .What's infinity?"
    Me: "It means forever and ever - it's the most."
    Julie or Nick: "I love you more than infinity." 
    Me: "That's impossible - the most is the most and you can't love me more than that."
    Julie or Nick: "Well, I do."
It's a shame we spend so little time trying to win at "Love You More." In fact, too often our damaged pride and hurt feelings trigger another game called, "Let's see who cares the least."  
     Jesus rewrote the rules for loving others and Paul followed them joyfully and freely. 
"So I will very gladly spend for you everything I have and expend myself as well. 
If I love you more will you love me less?" 
2 Corinthians 12:15
Jesus' love and grace transformed Saul the tight-hearted Pharisee into Paul, Extravagant Spender of Love and Service. He demanded nothing in return but poured himself and his resources out to bring people to salvation in Jesus Christ. He loved them more to introduce them to the God who loved them infinitely more. 
Father, thank You for loving us first and for loving us "more." Loosen the protective bandages we've wrapped too tightly around our hearts and loosen our knees to bend in service. Loosen our grasp on past grievances and pride so we can open our hands and hearts to serve people in Your Love regardless of whether they love us in return. Teach us to be thankful for those who've loved us according to Your definition and example. Thank You for the times You've helped us get over and outside ourselves to let You love through us. What amazing joy and healing those times have brought into our lives. Do it again today, Father. Let Your love pour out of us into a world of people who may love us less for our efforts but who may never forget that someone loved them more.
In the Name of Jesus Who loved us more, praise God!
"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful." 
Colossians 4:2
"give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you, in Christ Jesus." 
1 Thessalonians 5:18

Inspired by My Utmost for His Highest.
Photo from photobucket.com


No comments:

Post a Comment