Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - Aunt Robin

I've asked the children and young people of FBC Benton to call me Aunt Robin even though I don't expect them understand what it would mean to me. But, maybe you'll understand when I tell you about Aunt Reba. A sassy little lady introduced herself to our family as Aunt Reba (she said "ain't" which somehow sounded classy coming from her) when Tom was called to Central Baptist Church in Springhill, Louisiana. We met this wonderful lady when she was in her seventies and I can't imagine anyone with a younger spirit. She had an easy laugh and twinkling eyes that exuded God's Love and power. She was tiny in stature but a giant in faith and prayer. When you asked how she was doing she quoted her favorite Bible verse: "This is the day the Lord has made; Let us be glad and rejoice in it!" (Psalm 118:24) She loved everybody with ready hugs, encouraging words, nourishing food, and constant prayer. She loved people to Jesus, back to Jesus and closer to Jesus. Her prayers were intertwined inseparably with God's purpose and will, making her a rare prayer warrior. God embraced not only His church, but the community through this vivacious witness and His Light seemed to shine more brightly in her with each passing year. 

So, my hope is to hear in each "Aunt Robin" a personal reminder of how I saw God's love in action through Aunt Reba. I don't expect to live up to her legacy and I wouldn't want to give up the individuality God has given me, but I do want to let God's Light shine more brightly through me with each passing day. I want to be a rare prayer warrior and, like Aunt Reba, I want to love people to Jesus, back to Jesus and closer to Jesus. 


Father, I thank you for all the "Aunt Rebas" in the world who take Your call to love people seriously and who seriously want people to come to Jesus. Thank You for those who struggle in intercessory prayer. Thank You for calling us to love one another because we can only do that by first accepting Your Love for us. What a thought! Your Love pouring through us - energizing us to love one another. May this day be a day when we get out of the way and let You shine.


In the name of Jesus who loved people to Himself


"We proclaim Him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone  perfect in Christ. To this end I labor, struggling with all His energy, which so powerfully works in me." Colossians 1:29


"But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin." 1 John 1:7

1 comment:

  1. I'm smiling just thinking about Aunt Reba. What a marvelous witness and example for the Lord!

    ReplyDelete